The Student Room Group

Psychiatric requirements for 21/23 SAS Regiment(s)

Original post by EmreEser
Hello everyone,

I am interested in joining UK Special Forces, and I’ve been searching all over the web for the answer to my question, however I’ve had no luck whatsoever.

I have a very brief history of depression, where I was given medication for no more than 6 months, It was due to childhood trauma and the very first time I was living away from home. However after a while I realised that it was ******** (For me at least) and stopped taking it. I have no history of substance abuse/dependancy, or any other history of depression or anxiety, and I consider myself a strong minded individual.

I know the SAS only recruit the best, as it’s a job that can only be conducted by the best, and I have been wondering if this brief history would effect my chances of being considered for selection. If you have any information about psychiatric requirements for the UK special forces I would greatly appreciate it. Would I have to wait to prove that it’s not a recurring condition, would it be a straightforward “No”, or is it only decided on a case-by-case basis.

Thank you.

You need to meet the basic medical standards for Army entry. Past mental health issues are assessed on an individual basis, so the only way you can find an answer to your specific case history is to make an application to join. The fact they are Reserve units won't make a difference to the medical standards.
(edited 3 years ago)

Psychiatric requirements for 21/23 SAS Regiment(s)

Hello everyone,

I am interested in joining UK Special Forces, and I’ve been searching all over the web for the answer to my question, however I’ve had no luck whatsoever.

I have a very brief history of depression, where I was given medication for no more than 6 months, It was due to childhood trauma and the very first time I was living away from home. However after a while I realised that it was ******** (For me at least) and stopped taking it. I have no history of substance abuse/dependancy, or any other history of depression or anxiety, and I consider myself a strong minded individual.

I know the SAS only recruit the best, as it’s a job that can only be conducted by the best, and I have been wondering if this brief history would effect my chances of being considered for selection. If you have any information about psychiatric requirements for the UK special forces I would greatly appreciate it. Would I have to wait to prove that it’s not a recurring condition, would it be a straightforward “No”, or is it only decided on a case-by-case basis.

Thank you.

You need to meet the basic medical standards for Army entry. Past mental health issues are assessed on an individual basis, so the only way you can find an answer to your specific case history is to make an application to join. The fact they are Reserve units won't make a difference to the medical standards.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by threeportdrift
You don't 'join the SAS', you join the Army (or other relevant branch of one of the Armed Forces) and once your career is established, apply to join the Regiment. So you need to join the Army first and meet the basic medical standards. Past mental health issues are assessed on an individual basis, so the only way you can find an answer to your specific case history is to make an application to join the Army.

You can join 21 & 23 SAS (Reserves) as a civilian. 22 SAS is referred to as ‘The Regiment’ and you’re right in saying they only allow soldiers with an established military career. Direct quote taken from the British Army website: “21 & 23 SAS processes applications from male and female applicants, with no previous military service.”
You can join 21 & 23 SAS (Reserves) as a civilian. 22 SAS is referred to as ‘The Regiment’ and you’re right in saying they only allow soldiers with an established military career. Direct quote taken from the British Army website: “21 & 23 SAS processes applications from male and female applicants, with no previous military service.”

Yep, I recognised the numbers after I posted and revised my original post. It remains the case though that you have to make an application and you will be assessed on the specific circumstances of your case.
Original post by threeportdrift
Yep, I recognised the numbers after I posted and revised my original post. It remains the case though that you have to make an application and you will be assessed on the specific circumstances of your case.

Thank you mate, much appreciated 👍🏻

Quick Reply

Latest