The Student Room Group

External candidate, so lost and confused. please help

in my whole life ive never been so confused and lost. in summer 2019, i sat 3 a levels (bio chem and maths) and i got U, U, E respectively. This is because i had mental health issues during my exams and throughout college so i did poorly all throughout. No help from school, they watched me struggle. I was unable to keep up with homework. I knew in summer 2020 i was going to resit my exams and having done things at my own pace for a year i thought i was going to do well. But then with lockdown and exams cancelled, i fell of track and lost focus. During October 2020, i sat the maths a level for the autumn exam. I was unprepared but i thought i'd give it a shot , because i knew i wanted to sit my exams in summer 2021 and just to retake the two in summer. But now the 2021 exams are cancelled and i am an external retake candidate and i only have U,U,D to my name. im honestly so lost. im already on my second gap year and i feel as though corona virus has ruined my life. im 20 years old and im still looking to retake my a levels. I feel as though now i will have to retake in autumn 2021, or summer 2022. to which point ill be 21. most people my age finish their 3 year uni course by then and i'll still be taking my a levels. Im so clueless as to where i stand and what to do. im a big burden at home, living rent free year after year and my dad really wants me on my own two feet and to leave. I want to study computer science as a BSC. Has anyone got any advice for me? is it worth even continuing doing my a levels? is there a chance i can do anything this summer? shall i look for foundation courses with my U,U,D? i feel so lost. i genuinely havent got a clue what to do and i feel like giving up or just joining the army. My school predicted grades are really poor and i dont even know how to get a reference anymore because i finished college in 2019. Please help
Original post by a_level185
in my whole life ive never been so confused and lost. in summer 2019, i sat 3 a levels (bio chem and maths) and i got U, U, E respectively. This is because i had mental health issues during my exams and throughout college so i did poorly all throughout. No help from school, they watched me struggle. I was unable to keep up with homework. I knew in summer 2020 i was going to resit my exams and having done things at my own pace for a year i thought i was going to do well. But then with lockdown and exams cancelled, i fell of track and lost focus. During October 2020, i sat the maths a level for the autumn exam. I was unprepared but i thought i'd give it a shot , because i knew i wanted to sit my exams in summer 2021 and just to retake the two in summer. But now the 2021 exams are cancelled and i am an external retake candidate and i only have U,U,D to my name. im honestly so lost. im already on my second gap year and i feel as though corona virus has ruined my life. im 20 years old and im still looking to retake my a levels. I feel as though now i will have to retake in autumn 2021, or summer 2022. to which point ill be 21. most people my age finish their 3 year uni course by then and i'll still be taking my a levels. Im so clueless as to where i stand and what to do. im a big burden at home, living rent free year after year and my dad really wants me on my own two feet and to leave. I want to study computer science as a BSC. Has anyone got any advice for me? is it worth even continuing doing my a levels? is there a chance i can do anything this summer? shall i look for foundation courses with my U,U,D? i feel so lost. i genuinely havent got a clue what to do and i feel like giving up or just joining the army. My school predicted grades are really poor and i dont even know how to get a reference anymore because i finished college in 2019. Please help

Hi @a_level185

It is great that you have an end goal for studying a BSc in Computer Science.
Have you considered doing an Access to Higher Education Diploma?
Check universities requirements for foundation degrees as well. Hull has entry requirements of 80 UCAS points for their foundation course - https://www.hull.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/computer-science-bsc-meng?d=2021&var=foundation
I would also consider emailing the admissions teams at universities which you have looked as they may be able to advise some alternative routes which you could take to then be able to apply for the course. But also may be aware of alternative options given your situation and not being able to complete summer 2021 exams.

It has been an incredibly challenging year for many students and to achieve what you have given the circumstances is an achievement in itself. Your grade E went up to a D which should not be overlooked. It is a great achievement.

I hope that this is of some help, and feel free to ask questions

Emily
University of Hull Student Representative
Original post by a_level185

Have you spoken to your exam centre? The government are talking about making sure there are options for private candidates to get grades awarded.
More information should be available in the next few weeks.
Original post by PQ
Have you spoken to your exam centre? The government are talking about making sure there are options for private candidates to get grades awarded.
More information should be available in the next few weeks.

Exam centres will not know though since details from Ofqual have not arrived yet?
Reply 4
Hi, I'm in a similar situation. I rang Ofqual earlier today ask about where we stand and they just told me to wait a few weeks for guidance and updates. Hopefully they come up with something for private candidates as its messing up our lives and we can't keep taking off gap years.I would do the following:1. Ring Ofqual as I did, the number is available online, the more people that speak up about this the more likely they will do something about it. 2. Speak to your exam centre 3. Speak to the admissions department in the uni you would like to go to and see what they say 4. Speak to other uni's 5. Consider Access to Higher Education routes 6. Consider degrees with a foundation year 7. See if you can find another route to get to where you would like to be just as a back up8. Speak to someone in the area you would like to go into and see what advice they have I'm in the same boat as you but hopefully they will work something out Good Luck!
Ughh I just wish private candidates like us could take exam this summer, it’s too harsh to make us take one gap year after another

Quick Reply

Latest