noodlestopshop
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I have two questions which I did and they were both incorrect, my teacher takes ages to mark and im wondering if someone could tell me what the right answer would be
Question 1 - What is an example of excretion in mammals?
A) the release of hormones from glands
B) the release of saliva into the mouth
C) the removal of undigested food through the anus (I chose this answer but i got it incorrect)
D) the removal of urea by the kidneys

Question 2 - What's the effects of insulin and glucagon on the concentration of blood glucose (do they increase or decrease?)
I would say that insulin decreases it and glucagon increases it, is this correct?
Cheesecake04
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
For one I think it may be B ?
Jpw1097
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by noodlestopshop)
I have two questions which I did and they were both incorrect, my teacher takes ages to mark and im wondering if someone could tell me what the right answer would be
C) the removal of undigested food through the anus (I chose this answer but i got it incorrect)

Question 2 - What's the effects of insulin and glucagon on the concentration of blood glucose (do they increase or decrease?)
I would say that insulin decreases it and glucagon increases it, is this correct?
The first answer is D, urea is excreted in the urine by the kidneys. Excretion is the elimination of metabolic waste products, another example is excretion of carbon dioxide in the lungs. Excretion is different to egestion. Egestion is the elimination of undigested food, in this case C.

You're correct that insulin decreases glucose while glucagon increases it. Insulin is secreted by the beta cells, while glucagon is secreted by alpha cells in the islets of Langerhans in the pancreas.
BDavies1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by noodlestopshop)

A is secretion, B is also secretion, C is not excretion but EGESTION-excretion is the removal of substances FROM THE BODY. Material in the gut is essentially outside the body. It never was part of the body .All the stuff in the food that doesn't get absobed passes out through the anus. D this is excretion. Urea is a toxic molecule made (mostly by the liver) from the breakdown of excess amino acids. Those amino acids were taken in from the gut into the blood stream and so they were part of the body.

BTW secretion is the release of substances (hormones etc) from glands or cells into different compartments of the body.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (44)
28.03%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
8.92%
No I am happy with my choice (88)
56.05%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (11)
7.01%

Watched Threads