Tangledseries
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I struggle to do this at uni meaning I'm dumb
Anonymous #1
Report 8 months ago
Awww bless your not dumb... everyone learns at their own pace don’t stress yourself
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Tangledseries)
Hiya!

Don't say that! It can be really difficult trying to paraphrase and summarise text into your own words, and you will improve at this skill throughout your university journey

I always look at a block of text that I need put into my own words and highlight the main parts written. This way I know the core elements that I need to focus on. Your thesaurus is your best friends to replace specific words written in the text. Speaking the text out loud helps me to rephrase things

Best of luck! Sam-Official Student Rep
University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Tangledseries)
Hey Tangledseries

I also struggled to do this when making my own notes on lectures or when writing assignments but my notes were just for me to read unless my friends asked for them in case they missed the lecture. Paraphrasing a large amount of text can be quite difficult to do as it's so tempting to use the same words (if there are no other alternatives) but I would break down the text and do it bit by bit in paragraphs. My friends and I also read over each other's work to check for any errors and to make sure the essay flows well I've found this really helpful and it's helped boost my confidence when my friends provide me with feedback

Melissa- Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
14.48%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.52%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
4.83%
I need help with my personal statement (60)
41.38%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (36)
24.83%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.07%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
6.9%

Watched Threads