The Student Room Group

Are you automatically considered for funding in postgraduate applications ?

Hello,

I am applying to multiple English universities for a master. I am wondering if unis can offer a spot with funding automatically when you have a good application or funding only exists through external scholarships applications ?

Thanks !
Original post by Emma2602
Hello,

I am applying to multiple English universities for a master. I am wondering if unis can offer a spot with funding automatically when you have a good application or funding only exists through external scholarships applications ?

Thanks !

There are very many sources of funding. You have to research them at each university and see what the various schemes are. A few might not need a separate application, some might need a tick box completed on the application form, some will require a separate application. It all depends where the fund has come from and how it has been established.

In the UK, the rules on philanthropic funding (which is where the majority of funding comes from in a legal sense) are very strong on having to be spent in the way the donor framed the original gift. So if the donor says 'give this money (or usually 'the interest from this money') to needy students', then the Uni can give it out to anyone they think is needy. in that case, it might well not need a separate application to be considered.

However, donors rarely say that, their motivation to donate is normally more specific, and if they say 'give this money to children of grocers from Nottingham who have Grade 5 or above viola' then that's what the University has to do, and so you'd have to specifically apply for that fund.

Universities prefer the former philanthropic donations. Donors prefer the latter and historically it has been this subject/circumstance specific funding that is more common. It's a function of UK charity law that you can't move money between these funds or change the original wishes of the donor.
Original post by Emma2602
Hello,

Thanks !

Hi @Emma2602,

It will depend on the university and the funding.

At Keele, for example, we have some scholarships and bursaries in the form of fee discounts that are awarded automatically dependant upon the student's circumstances - these are usually picked up by the admissions team and applied upon a student taking up their place on the course. However we do also advertise some bursaries and scholarships which have to be applied for separately. These are usually run in collaboration with external funders - such as Chevening Scholarships and Leverhume Awards. We specify award conditions on our funding page at https://www.keele.ac.uk/study/postgraduatestudy/tuitionfeesandfunding/postgraduatefunding/.

Most external funding - such as charitable scholarships/grants, the government masters loan etc usually has to be applied for separately. As @threeportdrift has said, if you're unsure, it's probably best to email the admissions departments of the universities you have applied to, who can tell you the correct procedure for applying and point you in the direction of their funding information.

Amy Louise :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending