LoveEmerald
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I have received an offer from imperial for an engineering degree but it states that I need to get A*A*A* when the minimum entry requirements are A*A*A. I fear that I will miss the opportunity to study at imperial by one grade, although achieving A*A*A in future would’ve secured me a place. Is it even possible for unis to increase the entry requirements and demand all A*’s? And if so, If I get A*A*A on results day, can I call them up or is there no chance of acceptance although it would meet the minimum entry criteria? I’m just so stressed now because I emailed the admissions tutor who said that my offer does not change. Can anyone help me out on this/provide guidance and is there anyone else in the same predicament as me?
Anonymous #1
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by LoveEmerald)
I have received an offer from imperial for an engineering degree but it states that I need to get A*A*A* when the minimum entry requirements are A*A*A. I fear that I will miss the opportunity to study at imperial by one grade, although achieving A*A*A in future would’ve secured me a place. Is it even possible for unis to increase the entry requirements and demand all A*’s? And if so, If I get A*A*A on results day, can I call them up or is there no chance of acceptance although it would meet the minimum entry criteria? I’m just so stressed now because I emailed the admissions tutor who said that my offer does not change. Can anyone help me out on this/provide guidance and is there anyone else in the same predicament as me?
If they say that the offer is A*A*A* it means that the course is heavily demanded and unless results day is disappointing for many, I doubt there will be places coming up in clearing for lower grades. You can always try though. I'd just concentrate on getting the required grades now, rather than panicking. With the cancellation of exams the Uni is probably anticipating grade inflation again on results day, which might explain why they have changed their requirements. But this might be good for you too🤞🤞
casabonita
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
i've seen a lot of imperial offer holders this year get offers higher than they expected my guess is that its probably because imperial expected high grade inflation due to the use of predicted grades again, but inflation for grades isnt always the result for everyone, so it must feel quite frustrating rn i dont think you can change your offer, so just work as hard as you can over the next few months - with whatever your school is setting, even if it is as small as a piece of homework, and hopefully they give you the grades you deserve!
MElla14
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi congrats on your offer! I have an offer for chemical engineering from Imperial which is also A*A*A* which I am worried I am not going to get too so I am definitely in the same predicament.
LoveEmerald
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by MElla14)
Hi congrats on your offer! I have an offer for chemical engineering from Imperial which is also A*A*A* which I am worried I am not going to get too so I am definitely in the same predicament.
Congratulations!!
It’s nice to know that I’m not alone in this, btw what is your insurance choice mine is ucl for chem eng
MElla14
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Congratulations!!
It’s nice to know that I’m not alone in this, btw what is your insurance choice mine is ucl for chem eng
Thank you, mine is Nottingham. Best of luck getting the grades for Imperial! Hopefully see you there.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 months ago
I received an offer for Physics and on UCAS it says Grade A* in maths and A in physics is needed but I already have an achieved A in Physics as I'm retaking but I registered to retake Physics this year with A* predicted, does this mean I can withdraw from my Physics retake and use my achieved A to meet the conditions?
ShootForTheStars
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I received an offer for Physics and on UCAS it says Grade A* in maths and A in physics is needed but I already have an achieved A in Physics as I'm retaking but I registered to retake Physics this year with A* predicted, does this mean I can withdraw from my Physics retake and use my achieved A to meet the conditions?
I'm no expert, but it's written there in black and white!
Anonymous #2
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ShootForTheStars)
I'm no expert, but it's written there in black and white!
Ik loool, common sense says I should be able to but I'm just worried they'll say I need to get the grades in one cycle or something like that, thanks for the reply tho
Aditij.0212
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi, any civil engineering offer holder in this thread?
Anonymous #3
Report 2 months ago
I recently got an offer from Imperial to study EEE but I'm really worried that if exams don't happen (IB) then I won't be able to meet the conditions for maths. Do you think they will be lenient this year?
Aditij.0212
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi, Is there any Indian offer holder in this thread? If so, may I please know your offer conditions. Is appearing for the JEE compulsory for your entry to Imperial?
Namestey01
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by AnonymousAAJ)
Hi, Is there any Indian offer holder in this thread? If so, may I please know your offer conditions. Is appearing for the JEE compulsory for your entry to Imperial?
It doesn't say in the offer
isabelmarant
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I knew someone who got a 3A* offer for Chemistry and missed it on the day, but she still got accepted. She did get a D1 in Chemistry Pre-U though (equivalent to A**) and 2As in her other subjects so maybe the A** balances out? This was like 4 years ago though, it might be different this year because of the expected grade inflation, so they could be less lenient on the day.
LoveEmerald
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by isabelmarant)
I knew someone who got a 3A* offer for Chemistry and missed it on the day, but she still got accepted. She did get a D1 in Chemistry Pre-U though (equivalent to A**) and 2As in her other subjects so maybe the A** balances out? This was like 4 years ago though, it might be different this year because of the expected grade inflation, so they could be less lenient on the day.
Did they call up and enquire about getting a place or did they still get accepted on UCAS on results day although they missed their offer?
isabelmarant
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Did they call up and enquire about getting a place or did they still get accepted on UCAS on results day although they missed their offer?
I don't know the exact details, I'm sorry
chocolateflower
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Anybody a Medical Biosciences offer holder?
Cam3r0n
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In an event I attended recently, the admissions tutors (this is for physics) said that offers from Imperial this year are higher than usual. This is because they were worried about a similar situation to last year where many people ended up with higher grades than they likely would have achieved.
They also explicitly said that there is still a significant likelihood of being accepted even if you miss the offer requirement, though clearly not by much.
If you miss the grade and they don't automatically accept you anyway, they said to call up. Don't worry too much about the higher offer
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Cam3r0n)
In an event I attended recently, the admissions tutors (this is for physics) said that offers from Imperial this year are higher than usual. This is because they were worried about a similar situation to last year where many people ended up with higher grades than they likely would have achieved.
They also explicitly said that there is still a significant likelihood of being accepted even if you miss the offer requirement, though clearly not by much.
If you miss the grade and they don't automatically accept you anyway, they said to call up. Don't worry too much about the higher offer
I'm in a similar situation, though my offer is the minimum grade requirement (I take the IB). I don't even have exams this year (as many others too) but my school had to predict low grades based on their reputation, which is super unfair!! We're in the process of appeals but I'm worried I'll drop 1 or 2 points below my prediction and one of those points could be of a required condition for maths. Would this be a narrow miss and should I be worried about not being accepted?
Cam3r0n
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm in a similar situation, though my offer is the minimum grade requirement (I take the IB). I don't even have exams this year (as many others too) but my school had to predict low grades based on their reputation, which is super unfair!! We're in the process of appeals but I'm worried I'll drop 1 or 2 points below my prediction and one of those points could be of a required condition for maths. Would this be a narrow miss and should I be worried about not being accepted?
I am not familiar with the IB, but I suspect that it is more important to reach the requirement. However, a near miss may still get you in. If your offer isn't immediately confirmed, then just contact the college to see if they have space. It is never going to be worth worrying about it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (84)
26.17%
England (108)
33.64%
Belgium (27)
8.41%
Germany (38)
11.84%
Spain (6)
1.87%