The Student Room Group

Summer School for Middle Class?

Hi, so I was wondering if there were any summer schools (preferably in Oxbridge, but I don't mind anywhere else) for people who can't afford thousands of pounds for a summer school, but are also not eligible for the Sutton's Trust?

I go to a private school, but I receive a full bursary, which makes me ineligible for "Widening Access" schemes, but it is also impossible for me to pay like 3k for a 2-week course. Does anyone have experience/have heard of affordable courses over summer for Year 12 students? II know there are lots more ways of getting to know your subject better and learning more about the application process, but I've heard overwhelmingly positive reviews about summer schools and would really like to go, but simply cannot find any suitable for me. Any responses would be appreciated!
(edited 3 years ago)
Cambridge do summer schools for a wide variety of subjects, but I’m not sure if you’d be eligible with your private schooling background. I suppose there’s no harm in checking with them though.
Reply 2
Original post by gracie_1234
Hi, so I was wondering if there were any summer schools (preferably in Oxbridge, but I don't mind anywhere else) for people who can't afford thousands of pounds for a summer school, but are also not eligible for the Sutton's Trust?

I go to a private school, but I receive a full bursary, which makes me ineligible for "Widening Access" schemes, but it is also impossible for me to pay like 3k for a 2-week course. Does anyone have experience/have heard of affordable courses over summer for Year 12 students? II know there are lots more ways of getting to know your subject better and learning more about the application process, but I've heard tremendous reviews about summer schools and would really like to go, but simply cannot find any suitable for me. Any responses would be appreciated!

I think the only reason why you'd still not be eligible for free summer schools like at the Sutton Trust is because they'd expect you to receive more support with your application or resources, being in a private school, that many state school pupils just don't have the access to. Do you have any teachers you can reach out to for support? Teachers, or maybe previous students from your school, who have graduated from Oxbridge and that have done the course you're interested in might be able to offer you advice. If not, then you can have a look at @Oxford Mum's Oxford and Cambridge Demystified chapters (she's uploaded chapters for various subjects and is still working on it) for advice if she happens to have something on the course you're interested in applying for (don't mind me spreading the word, OM :h:).
Thank you for tagging me in. There are many wise words above.

My own sons went to private schools on scholarships ( I worked in a petrol station and am a single parent.). Therefore they didn’t apply as they knew they were not eligible. They got in anyway.

We could not afford the private “get into Oxford paying schemes. To be honest they are rubbish anyway. No scheme can guarantee a place.

Private school offers a lot of academic support and so it is only fair that these schemes should be exclusively reserved for those who do not have these benefits.

It is important that you do extra research into your own subject and practice any admissions tests. I have no access to my computer at the moment but tomorrow I will send you the thread to Oxford demystified which will have lots of info on how to apply.
To be honest there are no cheap get into Oxbridge summer schools for fee paying students. They charge the earth, because they know people are desperate to get in and are prepared to pay big bucks. Why should they do it on the cheap?

Oxford and Cambridge demystified, however is free
Reply 6
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Cambridge do summer schools for a wide variety of subjects, but I’m not sure if you’d be eligible with your private schooling background. I suppose there’s no harm in checking with them though.

Thank you for your reply! All the ones that I have found online are exclusively for state school students, which I fully understand and agree that those should be in place, but it just means that the minority of people like me who are socially disadvantaged as well don’t have those opportunities. Will keep on looking though!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Oxford Mum
Thank you for tagging me in. There are many wise words above.

My own sons went to private schools on scholarships ( I worked in a petrol station and am a single parent.). Therefore they didn’t apply as they knew they were not eligible. They got in anyway.

We could not afford the private “get into Oxford paying schemes. To be honest they are rubbish anyway. No scheme can guarantee a place.

Private school offers a lot of academic support and so it is only fair that these schemes should be exclusively reserved for those who do not have these benefits.

It is important that you do extra research into your own subject and practice any admissions tests. I have no access to my computer at the moment but tomorrow I will send you the thread to Oxford demystified which will have lots of info on how to apply.

Thank you for your response! I absolutely agree - it’s great that people from disadvantaged backgrounds get those opportunities and it’s amazing to see universities offering them. I will take a look at the thread.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by gracie_1234
Thank you for your response! I absolutely agree - it’s great that people from disadvantaged backgrounds get those opportunities and it’s amazing to see universities offering them. I will take a look at the thread.

Here is the link to a new chapter - "Making a successful re-application" It takes all the most important secrets and hints from every Oxford Demystified chapter and puts it in one place. Great if you want some general info.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6891280&p=93381234#post93381234

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending