Vhs EMERGENCY

Watch
Procrastonator
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I’m 16 and this lockdown I took an interest in watching me and my brothers childhood vhs tapes. I heard they start degrading after ten years and me and my brother are 16 and 12. We used a senevo vsr and an old tv it started off good with my brothers earliest tape till we got to the 3 rd tape 2009 and it stopped working at 1 hour 16 minutes when it should go on for 5 hours more . The other older tapes worked fine they had a few lines which was expected. The fourth tape in the beginning crashes aswell. If his tapes are 11 years old kept in good condition and use quality camera records and tape recorders what went wrong? Mine are older and they have people that have passed away in them and other important memories.I doubt they would work. Do I need to clean the vhs head? I really want to convert them but with alevels and ukcat I don’t have the time. My mom said she kept the camcorders with the videos on them. This message went on for long but I hope someone comes up with a non bias solution as online websites always scare you into converting them to dvd so they can make profit. So I want a fair opinion from someone with knowledge. Please help these videos contain some important people and memories.
Zain_Ahmed
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
The best way is to convert them. Try to convert them into a mp4 file rather than DVD's as files are easier to transfer.
Procrastonator
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zain_Ahmed)
The best way is to convert them. Try to convert them into a mp4 file rather than DVD's as files are easier to transfer.
Thanks man. Any tips on how to do that ?
Zain_Ahmed
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Procrastonator)
Thanks man. Any tips on how to do that ?
IDK the best way, but you can get a VHS to DVD converter. Then convert DVD into Mp4.
The best way is to :google:
Procrastonator
Rep:
?
IDK the best way, but you can get a VHS to DVD converter. Then convert DVD into Mp4.
Thanks . Surprisingly google has not been very informative but student room is giving me a rough idea of the process.
glassalice
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Thanks . Surprisingly google has not been very informative but student room is giving me a rough idea of the process.
I *think* that I've seen corner shops and other small retailers advertising that they offer this service.
I have no idea how much it might cost though OR whether it is cheaper than buying your own converter.
Procrastonator
Rep:
?
(Original post by glassalice)
I *think* that I've seen corner shops and other small retailers advertising that they offer this service.
I have no idea how much it might cost though OR whether it is cheaper than buying your own converter.
Don’t recommend it . We went india my mom was asking some of the best people there as she grew up there so she knew. To convert and they did her wedding videos well but it took a lot of time and money. Most corner shops use cheap stuff unless u go to someone well. usually a scam
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Really?
Procrastonator
Rep:
?
(Original post by DiddyDec)
Really?
Yes it’s an old fashioned topic
Zain_Ahmed
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Yes it’s an old fashioned topic
Did you click the link?
Procrastonator
Rep:
?
Did you click the link?
No I don’t click links from people I don’t know
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
No I don’t click links from people I don’t know
Then you will have to live in ignorance.
Procrastonator
Rep:
?
(Original post by DiddyDec)
Then you will have to live in
Lol can u just tell me the name of the article
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Lol can u just tell me the name of the article
:google:
Chronoscope
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Some places/businsses might covert them for you (although they're probably classed as non essential businesses atm) but you'l likely have to pay for the service.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (23)
10.13%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (135)
59.47%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (31)
13.66%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (33)
14.54%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (5)
2.2%

Watched Threads