Chestnut3636
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi I’m applying for nursing, my parents obviously are worried about accommodations etc, but I’m thinking logically if I take out a student loan, I have my bursary and hopefully get a part time job, surely I’ll be okay for money ?? Could someone reassure me as I’m just abit worried x would mean aloy
kav13
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In Scotland, in receipt of the £10,000 bursary you are not eligible to apply for any student loans. I'm in the same boat as you, and I'm hoping to save up my money this year to help pay and also try to get a job on the side to make some extra money whenever I'm not studying or on placement. However, I have done an excessive amount of research and you may be entitled to some extra funding such as single parent funding, disability funding or funding to help you if your household income is below a certain amount. If you do not fit into any of those categories then the bursary is essentially your only source of funding other than personal savings or a part-time jobs. Have a look on the SAAS website for more information
Ben2021uni
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The £10,000 bursary must surely be enough to live on?
kav13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ben2021uni)
The £10,000 bursary must surely be enough to live on?
It’s really not when you think about it. The uni I want to go to charges £728 a month for rent alone. The bursary is around £830 a month therefore I’ll have only around £100p/m to spend on essentials, groceries, laundry and anything I need to pay for when going out with friends. This is obviously not going to be enough so I’m gonna have to use my savings too.
Ben2021uni
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by kav13)
It’s really not when you think about it. The uni I want to go to charges £728 a month for rent alone. The bursary is around £830 a month therefore I’ll have only around £100p/m to spend on essentials, groceries, laundry and anything I need to pay for when going out with friends. This is obviously not going to be enough so I’m gonna have to use my savings too.
Surely the bursary + a part time job could cover it? Even just working like 15 hours a week - hopefully more jobs will have openings later in the year
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
From what I've heard having a job is damn difficult to manage with the hours your degree will demand. You get more than other people but the hours you've to put in really take away from that.

Good luck OP, hopefully someone can help you work out what you can do.
kav13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ben2021uni)
Surely the bursary + a part time job could cover it? Even just working like 15 hours a week - hopefully more jobs will have openings later in the year
Oh sorry I forgot to mention, nursing students are required to do placements for around 37.5 hours a week which is basically a full time job except we don’t get paid. This is on top of lectures and studying and also trying to keep our social lives afloat. A part time job is possibly an option but for very limited hours a week depending on how good you are at managing your time. And all this is why we get the bursary. Hope this answered your question!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (247)
51.14%
No (236)
48.86%

Watched Threads