The Student Room Group

Is my EPQ question too broad? (year 12 a level student)

I had a recent conversation with my supervisor about my question/idea and told her my initial ideas, however she said that in order to reach a conclusion my idea should be focused. However I'm not sure what to focus my research on and whether I should even narrow it down because looking at it from all areas to me seems better??

Here are my initial ideas:
my question was: Fast fashion: is the price we pay the real price?

ideas:
the positives and negatives (impacts) of fast fashion from a range of areas:

social: For example its easy and cheap. the living conditions for factory workers making garments. chemicals used being harmful to those workers. child labour issue
economic: would the factory workers developing the garments have a job without fast fashion? the world now produces masses of clothes/other things so quickly that it supports the economy
environmental: impacts of chemicals used and for example contaminated water from factory waste. the cotton drought.
historically: compare today with pre-industrial times and before fast fashion took off. For example, tailor made items. the benefits of cheap and fast clothes: eg 'need next day delivery I have a party tomorrow'.

I also want to do research into how aware people are, obviously following ethical guidelines.
For example a field experiment in my local high street- asking questionnaire.
eg- 'how much water do you think is in this cotton jumper' 'does this shock you'

it would really help if I could get some external feedback. :smile:
Original post by Charlotte310
I had a recent conversation with my supervisor about my question/idea and told her my initial ideas, however she said that in order to reach a conclusion my idea should be focused. However I'm not sure what to focus my research on and whether I should even narrow it down because looking at it from all areas to me seems better??

Here are my initial ideas:
my question was: Fast fashion: is the price we pay the real price?

ideas:
the positives and negatives (impacts) of fast fashion from a range of areas:

social: For example its easy and cheap. the living conditions for factory workers making garments. chemicals used being harmful to those workers. child labour issue
economic: would the factory workers developing the garments have a job without fast fashion? the world now produces masses of clothes/other things so quickly that it supports the economy
environmental: impacts of chemicals used and for example contaminated water from factory waste. the cotton drought.
historically: compare today with pre-industrial times and before fast fashion took off. For example, tailor made items. the benefits of cheap and fast clothes: eg 'need next day delivery I have a party tomorrow'.

I also want to do research into how aware people are, obviously following ethical guidelines.
For example a field experiment in my local high street- asking questionnaire.
eg- 'how much water do you think is in this cotton jumper' 'does this shock you'

it would really help if I could get some external feedback. :smile:

Hi! Most people tend to refine and change their research question a lot as they begin actually completing and writing the EPQ. As you do more in depth research or writing you might find your focus shifts slightly or u explore different branches of the subject you hadn’t thought about before. There’s no reason to decide on a solid title or question now, and it’s actually not advisable to do so! The problem will sort itself out in due course as your research becomes specific!
like the above user said! you’ll actually get more points if you change ur topic title slightly midway through the project, since it shows development and your ability to adapt based on problems you might find :smile:) for now it sounds great! for reference, my initial questions was ‘do we need to improve the efficiency of cancer care in the uk’ and by the end, after several title changes, it was ‘do we need to improve the cost effectiveness of breast cancer care in the uk?’ and the development showed got me a top grade - so defo don’t worry about it yet, just keep it in mind so later on you can change :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending