The Student Room Group

This discussion is no longer active so you won't be able to reply.Check out other Related discussions

exeter vs bristol

got an offer from both for biology and can't choose. here is my pros and cons for each

bristol
PROS; nicer city, more prestigious, one of the most targeted by employers, more diverse than exeter
CONS; not campus based, known for being druggie/ lots of parties (not my kinda thing), my course does not offer year abroad

exeter
PROS; campus based, course offers a year abroad, rated TEF gold while bristol is rated silver
CONS; less prestigous, less diverse, heard of it being quite racist, boring city

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rd9
got an offer from both for biology and can't choose. here is my pros and cons for each

bristol
PROS; nicer city, more prestigious, one of the most targeted by employers, more diverse than exeter
CONS; not campus based, known for being druggie/ lots of parties (not my kinda thing), my course does not offer year abroad

exeter
PROS; campus based, course offers a year abroad, rated TEF gold while bristol is rated silver
CONS; less prestigous, less diverse, heard of it being quite racist, boring city

Oof that’s a difficult one, the course is Ofc important but also try to think about the city as a whole, as you will be living there for at least 3 years, so is it a place you will enjoy, feel safe in?
Original post by Rd9

bristol

exeter

I'd be interested in how you think Exeter is boring - have you been there?

Exeter is not less prestigious either nor is it any more racist than any other unii - one incident hit the news and the students involved were expelled. There is a huge INTO site on campus so further incidents would have come to light. The year abroad makes it a winner.
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
I'd be interested in how you think Exeter is boring - have you been there?

Exeter is not less prestigious either nor is it any more racist than any other unii - one incident hit the news and the students involved were expelled. There is a huge INTO site on campus so further incidents would have come to light. The year abroad makes it a winner.

yeah i was leaning more towards bristol before, but now I think I'm gonna go for exeter because i really wanna do a year abroad
Original post by Rd9
yeah i was leaning more towards bristol before, but now I think I'm gonna go for exeter because i really wanna do a year abroad

You should be able to do a year abroad with Bristol too via an exchange programme. From a Biology perspective, Bristol is more highly regarded than Exeter in academia and in industry. Bristol boasts beautiful academic buildings that even Oxbridge would be proud of.
Original post by Rd9

bristol

exeter

Number 1 - you dont have to attend parties your there to complete a degree

Number 2- and TEF is actually ******** it doesnt mean a thing

Number 3- exeter is far from rasit and a boring city its actually great snd theres lots to do and the people there are so friendly and full of work opportunities as much as bristol has

Number 4- all basic biology degrees are the same and taught the same like thier modules etc so it dont matter where you choose you just gotta choose one
Every uni has drugs in it. I’m not sure bristol has any more than anywhere else. There is obviously the dnb and rave scene but if you don’t want to go, you don’t have to go. Bristol is the bigger city with more to do but Exeter isn’t that bad from what I’ve heard. Idk which is more prestigious for bio so can’t comment but ur use of the word targeted makes me think you’d like to go into banking or law which Bristol probably would give you a better shot at. It not having a campus is definitely not a con and 2nd/3rd year students live off campus anywzy
Original post by StarLinyx
You should be able to do a year abroad with Bristol too via an exchange programme. From a Biology perspective, Bristol is more highly regarded than Exeter in academia and in industry. Bristol boasts beautiful academic buildings that even Oxbridge would be proud of.

Exeter's campus is beautiful and it also boasts some great buildings e.g Mardon, Lopes - i've been to both.

Bristol s not more prestigious - there is a huge Biology research facilty at Exeter ...
Exeter's campus is beautiful and it also boasts some great buildings e.g Mardon, Lopes - i've been to both.

Bristol s not more prestigious - there is a huge Biology research facilty at Exeter ...

What’s with ur love for Exeter? I remember you trying to tell me it was better than Warwick for econ
Original post by JGoosey2002
What’s with ur love for Exeter? I remember you trying to tell me it was better than Warwick for econ

Many stiudents have gone there and been happy and now in great careers ... QED
Reply 10

really? I read on the website somewhere that you can't do biology with a year abroad. And if you go on the "go abroad" page on the uni website it shows a list of which subjects allow exchange programmes and biology isn't on there. tbh, if Bristol allows year abroad with biology then I would go to Bristol but rn i'm split between the two
Original post by Rd9

bristol

exeter

I wouldn’t say Exeter is less prestigious.. especially for biology, Bristol is more prestigious for Law and Maths but Exeter definitely leads in Business/Economics and has a more respected medicine department.

You’ve got 2 great Universities on the table, don’t think about others. It’s about what you want, Exeter has more laid back people, typically from Surrey, the parties are fun but more relaxed, the people are less intense, great personalities but not big personalities, they can be snobs at first though. I also think Exeters lack of diversity is a good thing (as an ethnic minority that goes there myself), it’s just worked out as a strength for me.. people really appreciated my personality, I guess it helps you stand out. Plus there’s still a fair amount but unlike Bristol, there aren’t ethnic minorities just for the sake of it. There’s also barely any drug use, and many beautiful nature spaces around.

Bristol on the other hand, big personalities and from experience not so great, its harder to make real friendships, you’ve got a lot of snobs there. The lad culture is quite strong. Partying is a sport, the people can be intense and it’s a more lively atmosphere! Amazing if you’re into that, but awful and draining if you’re not… I loved it there when I stayed with my friend, and at Exeter we travelled there once in awhile for a good night out but it gets tiring quickly.

so to conclude... Bristol isn’t worth sacrificing your dream of a year abroad. You seem like you’d fit in better at Exeter, unless an amazing city and nightlife is really important
Reply 12
Original post by Anonymous
I wouldn’t say Exeter is less prestigious.. especially for biology, Bristol is more prestigious for Law and Maths but Exeter definitely leads in Business/Economics and has a more respected medicine department.

You’ve got 2 great Universities on the table, don’t think about others. It’s about what you want, Exeter has more laid back people, typically from Surrey, the parties are fun but more relaxed, the people are less intense, great personalities but not big personalities, they can be snobs at first though. I also think Exeters lack of diversity is a good thing (as an ethnic minority that goes there myself), it’s just worked out as a strength for me.. people really appreciated my personality, I guess it helps you stand out. Plus there’s still a fair amount but unlike Bristol, there aren’t ethnic minorities just for the sake of it. There’s also barely any drug use, and many beautiful nature spaces around.

Bristol on the other hand, big personalities and from experience not so great, its harder to make real friendships, you’ve got a lot of snobs there. The lad culture is quite strong. Partying is a sport, the people can be intense and it’s a more lively atmosphere! Amazing if you’re into that, but awful and draining if you’re not… I loved it there when I stayed with my friend, and at Exeter we travelled there once in awhile for a good night out but it gets tiring quickly.

so to conclude... Bristol isn’t worth sacrificing your dream of a year abroad. You seem like you’d fit in better at Exeter, unless an amazing city and nightlife is really important

thank you this actually helps a lot. I agree, i don't think I would fit in with the people at bristol from what i've heard. my sister went to bristol and she says the only reason she chose bristol was because she wanted to party. nightlife is not important to me
Original post by Rd9
really? I read on the website somewhere that you can't do biology with a year abroad. And if you go on the "go abroad" page on the uni website it shows a list of which subjects allow exchange programmes and biology isn't on there. tbh, if Bristol allows year abroad with biology then I would go to Bristol but rn i'm split between the two

As you wish. I would choose Bristol, it has more tradition and more prestige than Exeter.

Actually you are right, Bristol is much more prestigious for Biology, and for many other subjects. Exeter was a top 40-50 university just 20 years ago, with no medical school. With a £200 million debt they have leaped up the tables and into the Russell Group, yet remain one of the smallest research universities within the group. The pandemic could potentially have wiped them out from existence.
(edited 3 years ago)
Actually you are right, Bristol is much more prestigious for Biology, and for many other subjects. Exeter was a top 40-50 university just 20 years ago, with no medical school. With a £200 million debt they have leaped up the tables and into the Russell Group, yet remain one of the smallest research universities within the group. The pandemic could potentially have wiped them out from existence.

Dream on - Exeter has always been better than Bristol :smile:
Dream on - Exeter has always been better than Bristol :smile:

At what? Bristol is one of the oldest red brick universities in the UK, and traditionally one of the most popular Oxbridge alternatives amongst the leading schools in the UK. It also boasts a triple sweep of medical, dental and veterinary medicine schools, all of which are among the very hardest to get into. Most of all, what I like most about Bristol is that they have worked hard since 2000 to accept more state school kids on lower grades for their oversubscribed courses.
Reply 17
Just pick whichever university offers the best package for you. Look at the courses and what the cities have to offer and make a decision. You aren't going to regret going to either really.

The vast majority of employers don't give a damn what university you went to, as long as it is just "somewhat known". Any extra curricular activities, internships/ work experience and soft skills you develop during your degree are far more valuable. Make a decision, stick with it and focus on those things rather than worrying about silly notions such as prestige.
At what? Bristol is one of the oldest red brick universities in the UK, and traditionally one of the most popular Oxbridge alternatives amongst the leading schools in the UK. It also boasts a triple sweep of medical, dental and veterinary medicine schools, all of which are among the very hardest to get into. Most of all, what I like most about Bristol is that they have worked hard since 2000 to accept more state school kids on lower grades for their oversubscribed courses.

That has nothing to do with the OP's choice - did you actually read their post? Bristol does not offer a year abroad

Durham and Exeter have been trqditional for oxbridge near- misses not Bristol - ever. What has the fact of Bristol having medical, dental and veterinary schools got fo do with it? Irrelevant and they are certainly NOT the hardest to get into [my student's experience] - I'm been advising on UCAS for many years ...
That has nothing to do with the OP's choice - did you actually read their post? Bristol does not offer a year abroad

Durham and Exeter have been trqditional for oxbridge near- misses not Bristol - ever. What has the fact of Bristol having medical, dental and veterinary schools got fo do with it? Irrelevant and they are certainly NOT the hardest to get into [my student's experience] - I'm been advising on UCAS for many years ...

Don't delude yourself. Bristol is a top 10 university in all three of the major international tables when comparing the UK universities. Typical grades for Bristol are A*AA-AAB. Exeter will accept BBC for a lot of courses at the Penryn Campus via clearing.
(edited 3 years ago)

Latest