Math problems

Watch this thread
JoeyBagheera
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey there.
I am in year 10 and i'm in set three of eight - so its not great but i am really struggling with my maths work at the moment and online lessons aren't helping aswell. I got very stressed over lockdown with all the work being set and not being able to see anyone so maths doesnt help at all. I have never loved maths but this year it has gotten considerably worse. When ever we are in math class i hate it so much even if i do understand the work- which is extremely rare. I get rubbish scores in tests like i get 40% to 60% on average so i get really upset whenever we have tests and i get stressed . I'm not getting bullied or anything but i just hate maths sooooooooooo much. Has anyone got any tips or advice or support? Thank you
JamieOfFeathers
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
well, firstly, if you don't understand the work, the best thing to do is probably to ask your teacher about it. if it gets to really be too much, it might be beneficial for you to ask to move down a set? (a friend of mine did this for science, and i know that it helped her).

honestly though, the best way to get better at maths is probably just to practice, yeah, it's boring, but there really isn't much else you can do.
misoeun
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hi!

Don't worry about your current relationship with maths - I used to feel the same way. In terms of improving your skills, really the only thing you can do now is to concentrate on learning and understanding the topics in a way that works for you, no matter how long it takes to do it (for every hour of maths class we would have, I would need at least 3 hours to solidify it in my head). Afterwards, past paper questions are your absolute best friend. I know it's such a generic answer, but the only way for you to improve your maths is to practise as much as you possibly can. Some websites/resources that I recommend (in no particular order) are:

1. CorbettMaths - he does a really good job of explaining and simplifying certain topics, though I don't believe he covers everything on the new spec, so just watch out for that.

2. MyiMaths - I don't actually use this site that often but it has helped my friends a lot. There are presentations and some simpler practise questions, although you may need a school account for this one.

3. DrFrost Maths - questions by topic for you to practise, along with helpful videos if you get stuck.

4. SaveMyExams / Physics and Maths Tutor- they have topic questions taken from past papers (savemyexams with model answers and videos for you to follow). They also have a range of past papers to choose from. I did all of the topic questions on SaveMyExams for maths and there wasn't a single question I couldn't answer during my GCSE.

5. Other textboooks/workbooks - see if you can find additional revision guides or resources that simplify the content according to your spec. These are useful for understanding the material.

Don't feel discouraged if you aren't improving straight away, or that you resent the subject. There is literally nothing else to help with maths except for getting extra guidance in understanding from your teachers/outsourcing for resources and past paper questions, and then I can guarantee that you will be just fine. Based on your skill level now it might seem daunting, but it will improve with more effort and diligence. I used to hate the subject too, and my peers always seemed to understand concepts faster than I could. I took the accelerated program but my entrance test (which consisted of basic GCSE maths knowledge) didn't even allow me to pass. After practising as much as I could with all of these resources, I'm predicted a stronger 9 than all but few in my class.

Good luck! You can do it
JoeyBagheera
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thank you so much both of you. You have been very helpful and I will definitely check out those websites. Anyway, thank you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (66)
16.14%
The paper was reasonable (200)
48.9%
Not feeling great about that exam... (101)
24.69%
It was TERRIBLE (42)
10.27%

Watched Threads