RaeB28
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello
Does anyone know of any universities that allow external candidates to transfer onto their medicine course and if so what year?
Or is better to just apply to graduate entry?
Thanks
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RaeB28)
Hello
Does anyone know of any universities that allow external candidates to transfer onto their medicine course and if so what year?
Or is better to just apply to graduate entry?
Thanks
What are you studying at the moment?

There are some prearranged biomedicine to medicine transfer schemes - but these are extremely competitive.

If you're a school leaver and not enrolled yet, aiming specifically for GEM by doing a degree is never the recommended option. It'll take longer, cost more and (most importantly) much more competitive.
RaeB28
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
What are you studying at the moment?

There are some prearranged biomedicine to medicine transfer schemes - but these are extremely competitive.

If you're a school leaver and not enrolled yet, aiming specifically for GEM by doing a degree is never the recommended option. It'll take longer, cost more and (most importantly) much more competitive.
Hi
I am first year Biomedical Science student and was looking into the option of transferring. But can't find options for external candidates. GEM only works out 1 year extra so not fussed if I have to go through that route
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi
I am first year Biomedical Science student and was looking into the option of transferring. But can't find options for external candidates. GEM only works out 1 year extra so not fussed if I have to go through that route
One year if you get in first time. Plenty of people don't and as I keep drumming on TSR. The competition is the most important thing (i.e. the increased competition), not the fact that you'll spend a year longer and pay a year more's tuition.

There are 38 med schools offering standard undergrad medicine, many with year groups of 300 - 400 students. There are only 15 unis doing GEM, only Warwick has > 100 places and all have 100 places or less. It's many times more competitive.

DId you not research the transfer routes before accepting the offer? No med school accepts students from another course unless there's a pre-determined transfer route. There's no back door into medicine.

To other users reading this thread: again do not do a degree with the sole aim to do graduate entry medicine. It is never recommended.
RaeB28
Rep:
?
One year if you get in first time. Plenty of people don't and as I keep drumming on TSR. The competition is the most important thing (i.e. the increased competition), not the fact that you'll spend a year longer and pay a year more's tuition.

There are 38 med schools offering standard undergrad medicine, many with year groups of 300 - 400 students. There are only 15 unis doing GEM, only Warwick has > 100 places and all have 100 places or less. It's many times more competitive.

DId you not research the transfer routes before accepting the offer? No med school accepts students from another course unless there's a pre-determined transfer route. There's no back door into medicine.

To other users reading this thread: again do not do a degree with the sole aim to do graduate entry medicine. It is never recommended.
Ahh ok. thank you for your post.
Someone in my year mentioned it to me so I thought I would look it up.

My main focus is on medicine with research rather than general medicine. I could not get into general medicine because I do not have a-levels but there are unis that offer GEM with a focus on research. Again I know how competitive they are so if I do not get a place I will probably just focus on a phd.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ahh ok. thank you for your post.
Someone in my year mentioned it to me so I thought I would look it up.

My main focus is on medicine with research rather than general medicine. I could not get into general medicine because I do not have a-levels but there are unis that offer GEM with a focus on research. Again I know how competitive they are so if I do not get a place I will probably just focus on a phd.
It's the same thing, all med schools are supposed to give you an equal qualification so it doesn't matter whether you want to do surgery, medicine, research, academia, or even leave medicine and work in a completely different field. So there's no difference about which med school you graduated from.

Also, without A-Levels the choices that you have for GEM will be slightly less e.g. Cambridge (definitely a research uni) requires a 2:1 and A-Level AAA grades.
RaeB28
Rep:
?
It's the same thing, all med schools are supposed to give you an equal qualification so it doesn't matter whether you want to do surgery, medicine, research, academia, or even leave medicine and work in a completely different field. So there's no difference about which med school you graduated from.

Also, without A-Levels the choices that you have for GEM will be slightly less e.g. Cambridge (definitely a research uni) requires a 2:1 and A-Level AAA grades.
But only a selected few actually focus on research others they just give modules.

Yes, Cambridge is my 1st choice. I was planning to do a levels this year as the exams don't coincide with my uni exams but it was cancelled so just waiting for what Ofqual decides.
I also know some uni's require UCAT/BMAT/ GAMSAT aswel but as they only last a year/2 there is no point me taking them now.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
But only a selected few actually focus on research others they just give modules.
But where you graduate still doesn't matter if after med school, you wanted a research career.

All med degrees are assumed to be the same.

Yes, Cambridge is my 1st choice. I was planning to do a levels this year as the exams don't coincide with my uni exams but it was cancelled so just waiting for what Ofqual decides.
I also know some uni's require UCAT/BMAT/ GAMSAT aswel but as they only last a year/2 there is no point me taking them now.
Only Oxford GEM requires BMAT.

All other GEM unis use either UCAT or GAMSAT - the latter you can take up to 2 years in advance because you are allowed 4 goes.
RaeB28
Rep:
?
Sorry I meant integrated into the course. I know I can do more research after med school that is another option.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sorry I meant integrated into the course. I know I can do more research after med school that is another option.
Tbh GEM is going to be very intense by virtue of the fact that you are squeeze a 5 year course into 4.

It's going to be hard to do other things during yout time there.
RaeB28
Rep:
?
Hi,Has anyone successfully managed to get a MbPhD with imperial as a graduate entry?Or a MbPhD as a graduate entry with any other Uni.I know the competition is fierce but would like to know what made you stand out, extracurriculars? work experience? etc. I am currently studying a Bsc in biomedical science and want to try and be as prepared as possible.All comments welcome!!Thanks in advance!!
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,Has anyone successfully managed to get a MbPhD with imperial as a graduate entry?Or a MbPhD as a graduate entry with any other Uni.I know the competition is fierce but would like to know what made you stand out, extracurriculars? work experience? etc. I am currently studying a Bsc in biomedical science and want to try and be as prepared as possible.All comments welcome!!Thanks in advance!!
Imperial has already suspended GEM for 2 years in a row (2020/21 and 2021/22) and we don't even know if they will be opening for 2022 entry so I would just keep an eye out for that before thinking about specific courses within Imperial GEM.

Have you looked at UCL MBPhD for example? There are other med schools offering this.
RaeB28
Rep:
?
Imperial has already suspended GEM for 2 years in a row (2020/21 and 2021/22) and we don't even know if they will be opening for 2022 entry so I would just keep an eye out for that before thinking about specific courses within Imperial GEM.

Have you looked at UCL MBPhD for example? There are other med schools offering this.
Yes UCL only offer to people on the 5 year MBBS course and I know most GEM is 4 years. But I have looked into it
I didn't realise Imperial cancelled 2 years in a row. I've still got 2 years left on my degree (1 year work experience) so I am just investigating options now.

Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling being back in school?

Happy (38)
25.68%
Unhappy (40)
27.03%
Conflicted (70)
47.3%

Watched Threads