The Student Room Group

Will i likely lose my tooth? Are dentures as bad as they sound?

I knocked my tooth loose nearly two weeks ago eating a cream cracker and it's still loose and sore if i accidentally bite on it, i haven't been able to eat properly. It's a baby tooth, incisor on the bottom, and the other incisor next to it fell out a few years ago. My dentist says the root is really short. Will it likely firm back up still even though it's been nearly two weeks? I don't really want to lose it as I have quite a phobia of dentists, but it's painful if it's knocked and i want to eat properly again.

In terms of treatment my dentist says i'd likely have to have a denture, and she'd send me to be assessed for suitability for implants. I hate the thought of having a denture though, like they move around and i feel too young. Apparently surrounding teeth and the size of the gap mean bridges aren't an option. The thought of having to have dentures is making me even more scared to lose it.
Reply 1
Denture for losing a baby tooth? Weird.

@DrTSR will know more.
Reply 2
Original post by Nuttyy
Denture for losing a baby tooth? Weird.

@DrTSR will know more.

My dentist says the gap is too big and surrounding teeth aren't strong enough for a bridge. I think implants would depend on how strong the jawbone is so would need to be assessed. It doesn't sound like I have any options other than a denture if it won't take an implant.

I was born with a lot of adult teeth just not there apparently, so i still have a couple baby teeth.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I knocked my tooth loose nearly two weeks ago eating a cream cracker and it's still loose and sore if i accidentally bite on it, i haven't been able to eat properly. It's a baby tooth, incisor on the bottom, and the other incisor next to it fell out a few years ago. My dentist says the root is really short. Will it likely firm back up still even though it's been nearly two weeks? I don't really want to lose it as I have quite a phobia of dentists, but it's painful if it's knocked and i want to eat properly again.

In terms of treatment my dentist says i'd likely have to have a denture, and she'd send me to be assessed for suitability for implants. I hate the thought of having a denture though, like they move around and i feel too young. Apparently surrounding teeth and the size of the gap mean bridges aren't an option. The thought of having to have dentures is making me even more scared to lose it.

Definitely not a baby tooth.
Reply 4
Original post by DrTSR
Definitely not a baby tooth.

Why would it not be a baby one? The thought of losing an adult one is even worse. It is definitely much smaller than the other teeth and looks out of place, it's kind of cylindrical and i can feel a little crater on top with my tongue. It doesn't even join up to it's neighbour as it's too small. It kind of looks like those teeth that have been filed down for crowns, and always has done. My dentist says it's a baby one, and i don't ever recall losing one there?

The tooth is still hanging on in there, still wobbly but less painful now, is that a good sign?
TSR isn’t really the best place to discuss your dental or general health needs.
Most people on here aren’t qualified to provide you with dental advice and those who are cannot give you anything meaningful from an online description (and neither is it ethical). You should discuss all your worries with your dentist and ask them any queries you have.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Why would it not be a baby one? The thought of losing an adult one is even worse. It is definitely much smaller than the other teeth and looks out of place, it's kind of cylindrical and i can feel a little crater on top with my tongue. It doesn't even join up to it's neighbour as it's too small. It kind of looks like those teeth that have been filed down for crowns, and always has done. My dentist says it's a baby one, and i don't ever recall losing one there?

The tooth is still hanging on in there, still wobbly but less painful now, is that a good sign?

If its a baby tooth , then that means your adult tooth is missing.

Quick Reply

Latest