The Student Room Group

Maths degree without further maths?

I know Cambridge, Oxford and Durham are probably ruled out but would applying for a maths degree at other Russel group unis e.g Exeter, York, Bristol(if that is a Russel group), Birghminghma, Warwick, without further maths or physics or any science a levels put me at a disadvantage?
Original post by Lily_23
I know Cambridge, Oxford and Durham are probably ruled out but would applying for a maths degree at other Russel group unis e.g Exeter, York, Bristol(if that is a Russel group), Birghminghma, Warwick, without further maths or physics or any science a levels put me at a disadvantage?

Have a look at the entry requirements for the maths courses at each of these universities and they will specify whether you need to take further maths. I think Warwick requires further maths but Exeter does not. You should check each of the websites and that should tell you though.
Original post by Incede
Have a look at the entry requirements for the maths courses at each of these universities and they will specify whether you need to take further maths. I think Warwick requires further maths but Exeter does not. You should check each of the websites and that should tell you though.

I know Exeter says it doesn't need further maths but would I be at a disadvantage to other applicants because I haven't done further maths or physics. Would they think that I don't have the ability or the passion to do the degree?
Original post by Lily_23
I know Exeter says it doesn't need further maths but would I be at a disadvantage to other applicants because I haven't done further maths or physics. Would they think that I don't have the ability or the passion to do the degree?

Well even Oxford doesn't require further maths, and publish statistics every year on how many get in. You should check the pages to see if they require further maths, if not it's down to your personal statement to say why you suddenly love maths. Might help to do further AS if you can. You might be at a slight disadvantage at more competitive universities since you don't know as much content as someone with the same grade in maths but also has further. I don't see physics being any problem. It has nothing to do with your mathematical ability, it's more the other way round. I do maths, further and chemistry and got maths offers

Quick Reply

Latest