The Student Room Group

Applying to Law as a Mature Student - 2021

Hello,
Does anybody know if Universities sometimes give out lower offers to mature students when applying to Law? I am applying 7 years after leaving school as I realise having worked in a law firm that I would like to apply to read Law. When I was 18, I wasn't sure what I wanted to do. I have been working since leaving halfway through my first year of university when I was reading a different degree that didn't particularly motivate me. Now I am determined to read Law which interests me very much. I am looking for universities with AAB A level grades and many of them ie Exeter insist on having AAA. This would not be a contextual application however, I feel I have several years of work experience, have worked hard and am capable of studying Law. My boss in my firm suggested that I should read Law. Does anybody have experience of universities being more flexible on grades with mature students? Many thanks
Original post by marigold21
Hello,
Does anybody know if Universities sometimes give out lower offers to mature students when applying to Law? I am applying 7 years after leaving school as I realise having worked in a law firm that I would like to apply to read Law. When I was 18, I wasn't sure what I wanted to do. I have been working since leaving halfway through my first year of university when I was reading a different degree that didn't particularly motivate me. Now I am determined to read Law which interests me very much. I am looking for universities with AAB A level grades and many of them ie Exeter insist on having AAA. This would not be a contextual application however, I feel I have several years of work experience, have worked hard and am capable of studying Law. My boss in my firm suggested that I should read Law. Does anybody have experience of universities being more flexible on grades with mature students? Many thanks

I'd suggest you check with the Universities before you apply if they will accept 7 year old A levels - many will want 'evidence of recent study' and that is usually 'in the last 5 years' or sometimes even 3. At the same time, ask if they will accept your grades and explain in full what you have been doing since your A levels. Universities do want to attract more mature students - but they will also want to be confident that you are not going to struggle with the course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending