username5568728
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I did want to do an English degree but I now hate my a level English lit so was thinking about doing philosophy instead. Do could someone help with these questions..
What sort of things do you learn?
Is the content interesting?
Is there much discussion inveolved- because I really hate discussions, I just like to get on with my work alone?
What do I need to do to get into a good uni- so super curricular stuff, any books you recommend?
And what can you do after a philosophy degree??

Thank you soo much
Lily
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
These are fair questions but if you don't know what philosophy is, or what you'll be learning by this point, then with the greatest of respect I wonder if it's for you.

Why do you hate the English course? phil degrees require a lot of reading, and usually a fair whack of writing, too. They require a lot of discussion (or should do if done and engaged with properly) - philosophy is not an independent pursuit, it requires interaction with people and for you to get the most out of the course, you ought to be prepared to share ideas and ask/answer questions

Most courses will include metaphysics (first principles, abstract ideas, being, identity, time, space, existence), religion, politics, ethics, epistemology (knowledge) and some level of formal logic - the precise stuff differs dependent on university and course, but expect to be looking at people like Plato, Aristotle, Descartes, Locke, Hume, Bentham, Mill, Singer at one point or another
Last edited by gjd800; 4 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (103)
27.39%
England (126)
33.51%
Belgium (30)
7.98%
Germany (40)
10.64%
Spain (8)
2.13%