sam2350
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hey! Anyone applying for medicine in Europe for 2021? I would love to get advice on where to apply, and if an agency is worth it or not? Which university is the best, stuff like that!
waterisntblue
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 months ago
Hey! I’m thinking of applying for med in Bulgaria for 2021, don’t have much info but Study Medicine Europe have info on their website. I called them up in the summer to ask for info and they were really helpful
kates4745
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by waterisntblue)
Hey! I’m thinking of applying for med in Bulgaria for 2021, don’t have much info but Study Medicine Europe have info on their website. I called them up in the summer to ask for info and they were really helpful
I'm also looking into Bulgarian unis through SME. I'm applying I think to Trakia and Sofia. The process has been pretty smooth so far - i think that's why sooo many students use an agency.
Anonymous #1
Report 10 months ago
What are the A-Level requirements? I have BCC, the Cs are in chem and Bio and I was meant to resist this year however summer exams have been cancelled and I'm yet to hear about any other form of examination as an alternative? On many of their websites, they just require a 'pass' but im not too sure if that's realistic as they are quite competitive too?
Anonymous #2
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
What are the A-Level requirements? I have BCC, the Cs are in chem and Bio and I was meant to resist this year however summer exams have been cancelled and I'm yet to hear about any other form of examination as an alternative? On many of their websites, they just require a 'pass' but im not too sure if that's realistic as they are quite competitive too?
My grades are BBC and SME said my grades were fine.
Euapp
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Check that with BREXIT the qualifications will be recognised in the U.K afterwards. You might have to take other exams to register in the U.K afterwards.
MusicalMedic03
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Euapp)
Check that with BREXIT the qualifications will be recognised in the U.K afterwards. You might have to take other exams to register in the U.K afterwards.
You can use the World Directory of Medical Schools to find out if the degree is accredited
Euapp
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
That's not what I'm saying.Whilst the U.K was in Europe, medical schools accredited in Europe, had to be in the U.K as well because there was mutual recognition. Will this still be true with BREXIT ?
Euapp
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Euapp)
That's not what I'm saying.Whilst the U.K was in Europe, medical schools accredited in Europe, had to be in the U.K as well because there was mutual recognition. Will this still be true with BREXIT ?
Just checked. Everyone irrespective of where they trained will have to pass the UKMLA exam before being registered. So as long as the programme is equivalent to that of a U.K degree, there shouldn't be a problem.
MusicalMedic03
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Euapp)
I don't think this will be a problem, as the GMC does not specifically mention only EU med school degrees being accepted by UK hospitals. If you go on the GMC website it will say that as long as the medical school is listed on the World Directory of Medical Schools it is accredited. You may need to take an extra exam but you will still be accepted. Many doctors practicing in the UK qualified OUTSIDE the EU
Euapp
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Which is what I've just said!! All doctors, British or other will have to pass the UKMLA exam to register irrespective of where they studied as of 2021. Access to the exam is based on pre BREXIT recognised diplomes.
sam2350
Rep:
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
How many schools are you going to apply to? and also i was thinkinh of medconnect maybe because SME is quite expensive but i dont know there charges either
Anonymous #3
Report 10 months ago
im thinking of applying too.. does anyone have any info on the process of coming back to work in the UK? I've heard that apparently its really hard to get into FY1 if you've studied abroad??
also does anyone know about how to apply independently or do you have to go through an agency?
Euapp
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
im thinking of applying too.. does anyone have any info on the process of coming back to work in the UK? I've heard that apparently its really hard to get into FY1 if you've studied abroad??
also does anyone know about how to apply independently or do you have to go through an agency?
You can do it on your own. It's not complicated, although quite time consuming. All the universities explain their admissions process in english and tell you what documents are necessary.
As for working in the U.K afterwards, you' ll have to pass the UKMLA to register, as do British qualified students. Whether you'll be as well prepared, I couldn't tell you.
Anonymous #2
Report 10 months ago
Most of the unis offer 6 year programmes for undergrad med this includes a year of working essentially as a FY1 in Bulgaria. So, once you finish the 6 years, you’ll be trying to get a job as a FY2 in the UK not FY1. Also since a lot of students from the UK, Canada and America study in places like Bulgaria, the agencies are used to guiding people on how to pass the various exams needed to work in the respective countries. That’s not to say the universities themselves won’t help, but I think people prefer agencies as they take care of all the paperwork and they’re very familiar with the process
KrissKross
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Does anyone know if we can get funding by the government to study abroad?
KrissKross
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
I'm worried about not being able to find being abroad
Anonymous #3
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by KrissKross)
i don't think so.. I think some universities abroad offer some help with funding but there are different criteria and it doesn't look like its a lot .. I think in general you'll probably have to fund it yourself :/
johnson_osei
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by KrissKross)
As far as I know there are no loans so you have to be ready to self finance your whole way through the course. Some students I’ve met usually come back to work in the UK during the holidays, summer etc but I’m sure it must be difficult to combine with exams etc. So I’d say make sure you can at least afford a huge chunk of the fees so that even if you have to work, you’ll still have time to focus on your studies
MusicalMedic03
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by johnson_osei)
As far as I know there are no loans so you have to be ready to self finance your whole way through the course. Some students I’ve met usually come back to work in the UK during the holidays, summer etc but I’m sure it must be difficult to combine with exams etc. So I’d say make sure you can at least afford a huge chunk of the fees so that even if you have to work, you’ll still have time to focus on your studies
Some universities may have financial assistance is I'd check the individual uni, but I don't think you can get any government funding
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (102)
34.69%
Yes - a trusted person (83)
28.23%
No (78)
26.53%
I'm not sure (31)
10.54%

Watched Threads