stefan26
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I am currently a first year computer science student at Lancaster University and I recently received an unconditional offer from Manchester (sadly transfer in the first year not second).
Is it worth it to lose one year of study in order to go to Manchester?
Antony Hughes
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
In my personal opinion Lancaster university is a well respected university and a top 10 university according to the complete university guide.
I think that the end goal of a degree is to get a job in a field that you enjoy.
What you need to ask yourself is it worth spending £9,250 for a different name on your CV?

I understand that Manchester is an exceptionally good university however is it financially worth it? I dont think so.

An alternative which could suit you if you really want to got to Manchester is completing your undergraduate degree and doing a postgraduate at Manchester as that way you would at least get a extra qualification from the extra year which would increase your employability.
stefan26
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by Antony Hughes)
In my personal opinion Lancaster university is a well respected university and a top 10 university according to the complete university guide.
I think that the end goal of a degree is to get a job in a field that you enjoy.
What you need to ask yourself is it worth spending £9,250 for a different name on your CV?

I understand that Manchester is an exceptionally good university however is it financially worth it? I dont think so.

An alternative which could suit you if you really want to got to Manchester is completing your undergraduate degree and doing a postgraduate at Manchester as that way you would at least get a extra qualification from the extra year which would increase your employability.
I was thinking the same thing, finish my studies here and get a post at manchester, or who knows, even a better uni. I might still try to send them emails and ask for a second year transfer. Thank you for your response!!
Hammad(214508)
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Nah doesn't make sense to switch
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.82%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.45%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (37)
16.82%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (33)
15%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (59)
26.82%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (42)
19.09%

Watched Threads