The Student Room Group

SOAS or Sheffield for Korean Studies?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GraceH-8
Ooooh I see, yes, I saw that most hold 10 people per flat so I’m expecting to live with 6-10 people (I think 6 is the minimum??)
When you say room, does that mean if it’s a ‘standard room’ / ‘en-suite’? For some reason I thought it was the actual room number 😩😂. Yes, I saw that too! Lol yeah, definitely don’t want to go ground floor 😬

It does make sense, thank you so much! The map was an unbelievable help!!! That way I can choose what I want to live around, plus it puts what you said into context :smile:

Thank you so much for the advice, I hope you manage to get where you want to live! I’ll keep my eyes open for that accommodation email :’))

Ahhh no you're right, you do get to pick your exact room number, sorry I phrased that oddly and confused you! I'm glad I could help and I hope you manage to get the room you want as well! :h:
Reply 81
Original post by studentlemon
Ahhh no you're right, you do get to pick your exact room number, sorry I phrased that oddly and confused you! I'm glad I could help and I hope you manage to get the room you want as well! :h:

You didn’t at all, I saw mixed replies regarding that question so thank you, you’ve helped me a lot!! Haha thank you!!
Last question! How on earth do you know what room number to go for??? I had no clue I could even book that.. how could you know what room you’d like? Sorry!!!! :h:
You didn’t at all, I saw mixed replies regarding that question so thank you, you’ve helped me a lot!! Haha thank you!!
Last question! How on earth do you know what room number to go for??? I had no clue I could even book that.. how could you know what room you’d like? Sorry!!!! :h:

The room number doesn't really matter I think, all the rooms are going to be the same appearance wise so you can pick whichever number you like. The only difference is that half of the rooms will face the opposite way out to the other half so you'll have a different view depending on which room you choose but there's no way to know this unless you've been there already.

Also if you're in a mixed-sex flat then you'll only be able to pick certain room numbers anyway because they make half the rooms only available to male applicants and the other rooms available to female applicants to ensure there's an even mix. E.g. if it's a 10 person flat, you'll only be able to pick from rooms 1 to 5 because rooms 6 to 10 will be for the opposite sex.

I hope that helped, this is pretty much all I know from applying for accommodation last year so I hope they haven't changed it since then. 😂
Reply 83
The room number doesn't really matter I think, all the rooms are going to be the same appearance wise so you can pick whichever number you like. The only difference is that half of the rooms will face the opposite way out to the other half so you'll have a different view depending on which room you choose but there's no way to know this unless you've been there already.

Also if you're in a mixed-sex flat then you'll only be able to pick certain room numbers anyway because they make half the rooms only available to male applicants and the other rooms available to female applicants to ensure there's an even mix. E.g. if it's a 10 person flat, you'll only be able to pick from rooms 1 to 5 because rooms 6 to 10 will be for the opposite sex.

I hope that helped, this is pretty much all I know from applying for accommodation last year so I hope they haven't changed it since then. 😂

I’m so sorry for the late reply, I didn’t see the notification for some reason!

I thought as much, I could double check on the applicant day too if i’m worried. I suppose if you pick a block on one side of the building you have some idea of the view??
Oh really? I wanted to go for mixed sex so that’s really helpful! I was wondering how the distribution would be!

You’ve been so so helpful, I honestly can’t thank you enough, have you firmed if you don’t mind me asking?
I’m so sorry for the late reply, I didn’t see the notification for some reason!

I thought as much, I could double check on the applicant day too if i’m worried. I suppose if you pick a block on one side of the building you have some idea of the view??
Oh really? I wanted to go for mixed sex so that’s really helpful! I was wondering how the distribution would be!

You’ve been so so helpful, I honestly can’t thank you enough, have you firmed if you don’t mind me asking?

Yeah I've firmed Sheffield, how about you?
awesome .. korean is useful for oppa 😍😍😍
Reply 86
Yeah I've firmed Sheffield, how about you?

Yup, I have too! :smile:
hi everyone! i just wanted to say i'm a current 4th year kstudies student at sheffield and im here to answer any more questions if u have any! :smile: SEAS have been working really hard and changing the programme to make it best it can be, so you will have an even better experience than my cohort!
Original post by sabinabean
hi everyone! i just wanted to say i'm a current 4th year kstudies student at sheffield and im here to answer any more questions if u have any! :smile: SEAS have been working really hard and changing the programme to make it best it can be, so you will have an even better experience than my cohort!

Hello! :smile: I'm just wondering, what kind of changes have SEAS been implementing? I'm still trying to pick my firm and insurance so I'm curious to hear the improvements they are making to the course.
Reply 89
Original post by sabinabean

Hello! I have some questions if that’s alright?
- How many hours of language learning/ independent study do you have (& would this be similar for us?)
- What Universities ABROAD are the most popular and beneficial for furthering my language learning (fluency) & how would I go about knowing what one I’m interested in?
- What opportunities do we have throughout the degree (& abroad)?
- Is the year abroad 12 months/ less?
- How has the course adapted and what could we expect in September (regardless of COVID).

I’m so sorry for all the questions, I appreciate that you may not know all the answers! I have an applicant day booked and would like to get as much information as I can so I’m not asking tons of questions on the day.. (sorry you have to deal with it!!!)
Original post by GlesDavies
There is a whatsapp gc for BA Korean Studies at Sheffield if your interested ?

Original post by Lili.H
yes! should I pm you?

Please remember that it is a breach of the terms of use to invite or solicit off-site communication on TSR. For safeguarding reasons all discussions started on TSR must remain here.
Reply 91
Original post by Lili.H
Idk if I'm too late, but I'm very interested in joining a group chat (even before uni) :smile:

Hiya! We learnt that we cannot share chat links on TSR as it breaks their rules. In addition to this, I have actually left the group chat, I’m sorry!! Maybe you could find it elsewhere?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending