OfficialPerson
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m in year 9 (UK) and I’m picking my subjects I want to pick computer science but I’m scared it will be really hard and I will regret it (especially because on some other forums I have seen they told people to stay away from aqa computer science and guess what I have aqa yay) should I pick it?

(Please reply as fast as you can, if you can)
Last edited by OfficialPerson; 1 month ago
Heli2022
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by OfficialPerson)
I’m in year 9 (UK) and I’m picking my subjects I want to pick computer science but I’m scared it will be really hard and I will regret it (especially because on some other forums I have seen they told people to stay away from aqa computer science and guess what I have aqa yay) should I pick it?

I was in the same position as you about two years ago. GCSE comp sci isn't really too hard as long as you get into the habit of being able to problem solve in efficient methods (this will help you immensely with the NEA coursework as well as in your exams and sometimes you can be asked to write a pseudocode or a flowchart.) This might sound overwhelming, but the subject really isn't too hard.

A lot of the content can be learnt fairly quickly. For example, throughout year 10 and 11 all the way up till a few months before the exams, I got consistent 3's and 4's, but after putting in 2 weeks before the exam to revise, I got a grade 8.

I hope this helps!
aiwilo97
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I'm doing OCR Computer Science which is manageable if you look over your notes every now and then but for my November mocks this year my teacher gave us an AQA paper.

From the questions we got yes, they were slightly more difficult but we still did well.

As long as you can use basic logical thinking for programming/algorithms and you learn the things from your lessons I would go for it. It's pretty fun once you know what you're doing!
itsmeuno
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Well I'm currently doing computer science.
It isn't hard as they say it is.
But you need to make sure your good at programming because that may be hard for some.
The theory side is all good but programming is just....
So watch videos on youtube on 'AQA beginners programming' so you can see if your able to do it as the whole point of computer science is doing programming (thats what my teacher told me).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfscVS0vtbw
Buddingdentist08
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi! I'm also a year 9 student in a similar position! Could anyone please share what topics are covered and how the course is assessed? Is it fully examination or is there coursework too?

Thanks for your help
OfficialPerson
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thanks you to all that replied I found this really helpful!
itsmeuno
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Buddingdentist08)
Hi! I'm also a year 9 student in a similar position! Could anyone please share what topics are covered and how the course is assessed? Is it fully examination or is there coursework too?

Thanks for your help
Component 1: COMPUTER SYSTEMS -Easy to revise/understand
1.Systems architecture
2.Memory
3.Storage
4.Wired and wireless networks
5.Network topologies, protocols and layers
6.System security
7.Systems software
8.Ethical, legal, cultural and environmental concerns

Component 2: Computational thinking, algorithms and programming -This is more harder so make sure your comfortable with this
1. Algorithms
2. Programming techniques
3. Producing robust programs
4. Computational logic
5. Translators and facilities of languages
6. Data representation

Component 1 & 2 are two different EXAM papers

LOOK AT THE ATTACHMENT- Thats how the two papers will look like.
Theres not much on the papers which are a good thing.
Buddingdentist08
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by itsmeuno)
Component 1: COMPUTER SYSTEMS -Easy to revise/understand
1.Systems architecture
2.Memory
3.Storage
4.Wired and wireless networks
5.Network topologies, protocols and layers
6.System security
7.Systems software
8.Ethical, legal, cultural and environmental concerns

Component 2: Computational thinking, algorithms and programming -This is more harder so make sure your comfortable with this
1. Algorithms
2. Programming techniques
3. Producing robust programs
4. Computational logic
5. Translators and facilities of languages
6. Data representation

Component 1 & 2 are two different EXAM papers

LOOK AT THE ATTACHMENT- Thats how the two papers will look like.
Theres not much on the papers which are a good thing.
Thank you so much! This is really helpful!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling being back in school?

Happy (44)
23.04%
Unhappy (54)
28.27%
Conflicted (93)
48.69%

Watched Threads