The Student Room Group

Shall I take gcse computer science

I’m in year 9 (UK) and I’m picking my subjects I want to pick computer science but I’m scared it will be really hard and I will regret it (especially because on some other forums I have seen they told people to stay away from aqa computer science and guess what I have aqa yay) should I pick it?

(Please reply as fast as you can, if you can)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by OfficialPerson
I’m in year 9 (UK) and I’m picking my subjects I want to pick computer science but I’m scared it will be really hard and I will regret it (especially because on some other forums I have seen they told people to stay away from aqa computer science and guess what I have aqa yay) should I pick it?

I was in the same position as you about two years ago. GCSE comp sci isn't really too hard as long as you get into the habit of being able to problem solve in efficient methods (this will help you immensely with the NEA coursework as well as in your exams and sometimes you can be asked to write a pseudocode or a flowchart.) This might sound overwhelming, but the subject really isn't too hard.

A lot of the content can be learnt fairly quickly. For example, throughout year 10 and 11 all the way up till a few months before the exams, I got consistent 3's and 4's, but after putting in 2 weeks before the exam to revise, I got a grade 8.

I hope this helps!

I'm doing OCR Computer Science which is manageable if you look over your notes every now and then but for my November mocks this year my teacher gave us an AQA paper.

From the questions we got yes, they were slightly more difficult but we still did well.

As long as you can use basic logical thinking for programming/algorithms and you learn the things from your lessons I would go for it. It's pretty fun once you know what you're doing!
Hi! I'm also a year 9 student in a similar position! Could anyone please share what topics are covered and how the course is assessed? Is it fully examination or is there coursework too?

Thanks for your help
Thanks you to all that replied I found this really helpful! :smile:
Thank you so much! This is really helpful!
Reply 6

Did my computer science aqa gcse last week paper 2 went well tbf but p1 was a but hard hoping to get a 8 or 9 but i think ima get a 7

Quick Reply

Latest