The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by imaqines
how long do u need to prepare for bmat

Hi there,

As @SyedN has said, around 4-6 weeks (or 6-8 weeks we recommend at Medic Mind) is the sufficient preparation time for the BMAT. There is a big range in how long people usually take when preparing because some may feel like they need to spend more time going over Physics content that they might have forgotten since GCSE (if they didn't do it at A-Level). There are plenty of free resources online that can help you prepare for the BMAT without spending any money, including the resources on the official BMAT website (I found the science guides incredibly useful!) and the past papers on there too. In addition to that, here at Medic Mind we have separated each question that has come up in the previous past papers into their different topics which can be incredibly useful to practice with - here is the link.

Hope this helps!

Marimo
UCL Y2 Med Student
Medic Mind
Hi
Do you know if you can change your BMAT universities or even add one more BMAT university after you've registered or is it kind of set in stone once you've picked the unis?
is section 2 harder than GCSE level ?
Original post by everythingbagel
Hi
Do you know if you can change your BMAT universities or even add one more BMAT university after you've registered or is it kind of set in stone once you've picked the unis?

I’d speak to your test centre, as they are the ones who register you with the unis I think?
Hey guys, I took a practice section 1 exam yesterday and scored a 6.8. It was my first time taking it but I lost some marks on the critical thinking part which I am aware can be avoided? Does anybody have tips to study for that part and is it possible to score higher with practice? Thank you 😊

(btw I am still learning the content for section 2 so I don’t know what score range I will get for that yet)
Original post by ukmed2022
Hey guys, I took a practice section 1 exam yesterday and scored a 6.8. It was my first time taking it but I lost some marks on the critical thinking part which I am aware can be avoided? Does anybody have tips to study for that part and is it possible to score higher with practice? Thank you 😊

(btw I am still learning the content for section 2 so I don’t know what score range I will get for that yet)

Do TSA section 1. Lots of questions to prepare from
Is BMAT ninja good, i need to relearn physics and was wondering if this is the best up to date resource?
im so bad at problem solving. I always have been ever since I was little. I got 2.2 in my mock. how do I improve in such little time ?
Original post by eighthirty
im so bad at problem solving. I always have been ever since I was little. I got 2.2 in my mock. how do I improve in such little time ?

There’s 6 weeks lol. That’s plenty!
Original post by Sm 002 u mug
There’s 6 weeks lol. That’s plenty!

I have to reteach myself physics and maths as well as balance 4 alevels on top :frown:
Original post by Medic Mind
Hi there,

As @SyedN has said, around 4-6 weeks (or 6-8 weeks we recommend at Medic Mind) is the sufficient preparation time for the BMAT. There is a big range in how long people usually take when preparing because some may feel like they need to spend more time going over Physics content that they might have forgotten since GCSE (if they didn't do it at A-Level). There are plenty of free resources online that can help you prepare for the BMAT without spending any money, including the resources on the official BMAT website (I found the science guides incredibly useful!) and the past papers on there too. In addition to that, here at Medic Mind we have separated each question that has come up in the previous past papers into their different topics which can be incredibly useful to practice with - here is the link.

Hope this helps!

Marimo
UCL Y2 Med Student
Medic Mind

Hi, what would people recommend for section 1? I am struggling with the abstract style of thinking, and I am too slow on all the questions, any advice?
Reply 574
hi, I'm planning to sit the bmat to apply to imperial and either ucl/Cambridge as my 2 bmat unis depending on how confident I feel once I start practice and I was wondering how to structure my preparation.

I didn't do so well on the UCAT and I've completely forgotten GCSE physics (hated it and got a 6) and so I need to get the content down first before any practice papers. does anyone have any good notes/flashcards that really helped them that has all the key info as I feel making them would take far too long :frown: also have mocks for the next 3 weeks so I'm not sure what I should prioritise or how I should balance revision

thank you so much, also any tips would be appreciated!
Original post by am.
hi, I'm planning to sit the bmat to apply to imperial and either ucl/Cambridge as my 2 bmat unis depending on how confident I feel once I start practice and I was wondering how to structure my preparation.

I didn't do so well on the UCAT and I've completely forgotten GCSE physics (hated it and got a 6) and so I need to get the content down first before any practice papers. does anyone have any good notes/flashcards that really helped them that has all the key info as I feel making them would take far too long :frown: also have mocks for the next 3 weeks so I'm not sure what I should prioritise or how I should balance revision

I am mainly revising for section 2 using the revision guide on the Cambridge assessment website, if you have seen it. It's pretty concise and comprehensive.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by am.

I'd suggest putting more effort into BMAT, especially since your applying to 2 BMAT unis and it's less likely that your year will have to do TAGs or CAGs again, so your mocks in that case wouldn't mean that much except predicted grades (which some teachers usually inflate anyways). Even if you go through TAGs, they might not count these mocks as they're not "safe" because people might have access to mark schemes etc.
I'd also suggest practising more for section 2 than you would think you need to. In my opinion it's the hardest section because most people underestimate it now that they realise GCSE sciences was easy in comparison to A-level sciences, but it applies content from GCSE science in a much more difficult way than in GCSE. So I'd say put more of your effort into section 2.
BBC Bitesize is good for remembering content from GCSE. If you have any books left from GCSE, like the CGP books, they are really helpful in my opinion. Go through some GCSE past papers for physics with mark schemes just so you can look for answers and methods since a lot of the physics questions will be maths related.
Hi, please may I ask few questions?

1. With regards to how long to prepare, there has been suggestions of 4 to 6 weeks. How many hours each day is advised please?
2. And how many mocks from 2003 to 2020 I should aim to do before the deadline to be able to have some rough idea of my performance as we are applying blind for BMAT uni's.
3. I have a good UCAT score (3160, Band 1), but can't apply to KCL. But would like to go to either UCL or Imperial - don't want to try both and waste a choice, want to choose just one and go for 3 UCT uni's. My main question here for BMAT uni is "Which one among UCL/Imperial is likely for shortlisting with stats as below"

My GCSE grades aren't great. I have 8 subjects ranging from grade 7 to 9 and 3 subjects at grade 6. I have 2 Grade 8 music instruments, part of orchestra, badminton coach and a reasonably good badminton player. Have done some volunteering work for more than 6 months at 2 different places (One at a charity shop and one at an elderly home) and shadowing GP as work experience. I might possibly get 2 days work experience at A&E.
(edited 2 years ago)
Does anyone have any tips for how to start revising for the BMAT and what to do first, it seems a bit more overwhelming to me than the ucat :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending