poop yakuza
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
in my textbook, "a position vector of the point relative to the centre of mass" is denoted as r', and they also state r = R + r'. Im having trouble mapping this out on a general 3d space, and also confused on what the meaning of "relative to" is. Can anybody help me on this?
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by poop yakuza)
in my textbook, "a position vector of the point relative to the centre of mass" is denoted as r', and they also state r = R r'. Im having trouble mapping this out on a general 3d space, and also confused on what the meaning of "relative to" is. Can anybody help me on this?
A vector is just a displacement in n dimensional space. It can start anywhere. In the case above, r' starts at the centre of mass (it's a displacement relative to there), with r and R being defined as starting at the origin. You can now draw a triangle with sides of r, R (from O to the CoM) and r'.

The vectors themselves don't have a starting point, but their values implicitly assume one from their definition.
Last edited by RogerOxon; 8 months ago
poop yakuza
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
A vector is just a displacement in n dimensional space. It can start anywhere. In the case above, r' starts at the centre of mass (it's a displacement relative to there), with r and R being defined as starting at the origin. You can now draw a triangle with sides of r, R (from O to the CoM) and r'.

The vectors themselves don't have a starting point, but their values implicitly assume one from their definition.
Would it look something like this?
Name:  E9406E58-FDBC-40A5-A52D-4CF0763748A3.jpg.jpeg
Views: 6
Size:  13.4 KB
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Would it look something like this?
Name:  E9406E58-FDBC-40A5-A52D-4CF0763748A3.jpg.jpeg
Size:  13.4 KB
Almost. Check the directions of r and r'.

From your equation, you should see that following R then r' in their indicated directions, should take you to the same point as r does, both from O.
Last edited by RogerOxon; 8 months ago
poop yakuza
Rep:
?
Almost. Check the directions of r and r'.

From your equation, you should see that following R then r' in their indicated directions, should take you to the same point as r does, both from O.
Name:  CAA7E4D8-CDA9-4975-85E6-514E1CC6BD74.jpg.jpeg
Size:  15.8 KB

I’ve corrected it (I misread r = R + r’)
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Name:  CAA7E4D8-CDA9-4975-85E6-514E1CC6BD74.jpg.jpeg
Size:  15.8 KB

I’ve corrected it (I misread r = R + r’)
That's it!
poop yakuza
Rep:
?
That's it!
absolute goat!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (367)
84.17%
No (69)
15.83%

Watched Threads