The Student Room Group

Private students, STOP SIGNING THE PETITION.

I am a private student too, I am lucky in that I have the potential to get a CAG from the online college I have been submitting work through the past year. So yes, I still have a net to fall back on when many do not, but they're charging me a ridiculous amount to get those grades.

Anyway, why do I think you shoudn't sign the petition asking for exams?

1) Under these circumstances, you taking an exam is not fair. It is not fair because you will be in the minority, the minority will take an exam and it will be compared to a nation wide CAG result.
2) Your uni place could be taken away from you, simply because some teachers over inflated their students CAG and overestimated what their capable of and you took the exam and ended up with a C for example.
3) You will endure much more hardwork than the rest of the nation, that is okay for you work ethic sure. But is it fair? Students at home will have access to zoom classes, teachers, internet access to complete work that their teachers will mark alongside mocks. What do private students get? 1 chance to prove their worth, compared to a nation who will have many other things taken into account.
4) WEALTHY PRIVATELY EDUCATED STUDENTS WILL RECIEVE A*'s CAGS easier than poorer schools who dont pay attention and private students sitting an exam.

Exams in these conditions are not FAIR or EQUAL. Private candidates have a problem obtaining CAGs, so petition for the government to find a way in allowing us to obtain CAG's in the same way, without private companies ripping us off. Get them to assign us to exam centres, get them to find a STANDARDISED method of obtaining CAGs from home (online assignments) that every student, PRIVATE OR NOT, can do and achieve a fair grade.

IT IS NOT FAIRER TO HAVE EXAMS IN A NATION WHERE CAG'S WILL BE GIVEN TO THE REST OF THE NATION! PLEASE THINK ABOUT THIS!
(edited 3 years ago)
I think you should’ve posted this on the pre-existing A level cancellation threads.
Original post by CaptainDuckie
I think you should’ve posted this on the pre-existing A level cancellation threads.

Are you able to direct me there? I haven't used this forum in awhile! I really want people to think about what their petitioning for
Original post by SpiritualSeeker
Are you able to direct me there? I haven't used this forum in awhile! I really want people to think about what their petitioning for

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6783342
Reply 4
lol okay just because you can get CAGs doesn't mean the rest of us can. Its really just a selfish statement to make. For 1 the petition states that it should be made OPTIONAL not compulsory so if you want a CAG you can still get it. Secondly for private candidates CAGs are not accurate at all, you may have not been a private candidate in 2020 because you would have already known that most people who are private candidates this year were set to do the exams in summer because the CAGs last year were HORRENDOUS and not a true representation of their hardwork and ability. And whats the difference for us? if a internal student gets a CAG and doesn't get what they need or believe that the grade is unfair they will be resitting in Autumn with us private candidates who couldn't get a grade altogether but the only difference is that we have to wait another year to get into uni AGAIN.
Original post by DoBOL
lol okay just because you can get CAGs doesn't mean the rest of us can. Its really just a selfish statement to make. For 1 the petition states that it should be made OPTIONAL not compulsory so if you want a CAG you can still get it. Secondly for private candidates CAGs are not accurate at all, you may have not been a private candidate in 2020 because you would have already known that most people who are private candidates this year were set to do the exams in summer because the CAGs last year were HORRENDOUS and not a true representation of their hardwork and ability. And whats the difference for us? if a internal student gets a CAG and doesn't get what they need or believe that the grade is unfair they will be resitting in Autumn with us private candidates who couldn't get a grade altogether but the only difference is that we have to wait another year to get into uni AGAIN.

Do you not hear what I am saying?

I am being charged nearly £1000 to get CAGs, I can't afford it either without forking out the money from somewhere. I will if it means I can go to university, but do you not see how unfair this whole system is?

You taking an exam means you'll be the minority, compared to CAGs which as you've said are not a true reflection of ones ability. Can you not see how an inflated CAG could disadvantage you?
you are only saying this because you are getting CAGs
its not fair for us who dont get any grades - if i dont get to do the exam this year then this whole year is a waste

the exam is in 5 months you are acting like its next week

again everyone who wants exams cancelled has already got their CAGs so they can chill till September and act as if everything is all fun and games
Original post by Uplearnisitworth
you are only saying this because you are getting CAGs
its not fair for us who dont get any grades - if i dont get to do the exam this year then this whole year is a waste

the exam is in 5 months you are acting like its next week

again everyone who wants exams cancelled has already got their CAGs so they can chill till September and act as if everything is all fun and games

I am not saying that. If that is enough to distract you from my main argument I am happy to take that fact out. They're charging me extortionately high prices for them aswell.
Okay sure, but say you don't perform as well as you could have been, your efforts will be wasted and someone who worked at a much less intensity/pace than you will literally have better grades and potentially your uni place.
Reply 9
Original post by SpiritualSeeker
Do you not hear what I am saying?

I am being charged nearly £1000 to get CAGs, I can't afford it either without forking out the money from somewhere. I will if it means I can go to university, but do you not see how unfair this whole system is?

You taking an exam means you'll be the minority, compared to CAGs which as you've said are not a true reflection of ones ability. Can you not see how an inflated CAG could disadvantage you?

If they are charging you £1000 for CAGs why would you choose that route over doing optional exams in summer because its literally going to screw you in the long, I saw it myself last year people forked out thousands for CAGs and didn't get anywhere near what they needed for University and then had to pay for exams and wait another year. Yes there were inflated CAGs but some were also significantly low in comparison to what people where actually achieving or able to achieve because there were set numbers of people who could achieve the highest grades and the rest were put lower especially private candidates that were taking their exams in schools or colleges and were categorized with their pupils.
Original post by DoBOL
If they are charging you £1000 for CAGs why would you choose that route over doing optional exams in summer because its literally going to screw you in the long, I saw it myself last year people forked out thousands for CAGs and didn't get anywhere near what they needed for University and then had to pay for exams and wait another year. Yes there were inflated CAGs but some were also significantly low in comparison to what people where actually achieving or able to achieve because there were set numbers of people who could achieve the highest grades and the rest were put lower especially private candidates that were taking their exams in schools or colleges and were categorized with their pupils.

Exams work differently depending on the majority that takes them. They have a system don't they, of determining grade boundaries. These exams won't be like every other nation wide exam we took before, we will be the minority. It's an entirely different thing all together.

I don't mind taking the exams, but I want it to be fair.
Same, but I think the whole process is unfair.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending