The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham language modules

Hi, so I'm going to Durham in Sept, and want to continue studying Japanese alongside my degree. There are optional language modules, which is great, but I was wondering if they are included in the title of your degree? (E.g. [Degree name] with Japanese). Do any Durham students know about this?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, so I'm going to Durham in Sept, and want to continue studying Japanese alongside my degree. There are optional language modules, which is great, but I was wondering if they are included in the title of your degree? (E.g. [Degree name] with Japanese). Do any Durham students know about this?

Unless you're taking it as part of dual honours (eg. you were doing around 50/50 of your degree and Japanese) then I don't believe it would. Purely because lots of people take a variety of subject modules during their degree so you wouldn't want say a Physics with Mathematics, French and Computing degree, as it makes it sound like you haven't done much physics :tongue:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
yeah if you have extra credits you can take a language alongside your required modules that year. otherwise, you can take a language as an extra module and pay a charge to be taught it over the year (around £200 for 18 weeks of teaching). These modules are with the cfls and the website is https://www.dur.ac.uk/cfls/ you can check if your course allows you to choose an external module by going onto the degree's course information page and clicking on course summary. This doesn't get put on your degree as x with Japanese unless as Lemur14 has said its 50% of your modules. What degree are you taking?
Reply 3
Original post by Lucyyy279
yeah if you have extra credits you can take a language alongside your required modules that year. otherwise, you can take a language as an extra module and pay a charge to be taught it over the year (around £200 for 18 weeks of teaching). These modules are with the cfls and the website is https://www.dur.ac.uk/cfls/ you can check if your course allows you to choose an external module by going onto the degree's course information page and clicking on course summary. This doesn't get put on your degree as x with Japanese unless as Lemur14 has said its 50% of your modules. What degree are you taking?

The course is Sociology, thanks for your reply! Are you a Durham student then?
Original post by Anonymous
The course is Sociology, thanks for your reply! Are you a Durham student then?

Yes I'm first-year maths and i do German as an optional module but next year I don't have any extra credits so will do it as an external module, which is why I know quite a bit about it :smile: Having looked at the current BA sociology modules you can technically do Japanese every year if you want to.https://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/faculty.handbook/degrees/frameworks/l300.pdf that's the outline of modules for sociology. For each year you have 120 credits to fill.
Reply 5
Yes I'm first-year maths and i do German as an optional module but next year I don't have any extra credits so will do it as an external module, which is why I know quite a bit about it :smile: Having looked at the current BA sociology modules you can technically do Japanese every year if you want to.https://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/faculty.handbook/degrees/frameworks/l300.pdf that's the outline of modules for sociology. For each year you have 120 credits to fill.

Ah right, thanks! Might see you there in September aha

Hi, I know this is from a year ago but I am considering applying to Durham for maths and am very keen on taking language modules as well, would love to hear about your experience of taking it as an external module - if you’ve found it more difficult to find the time for it or any differences in workload? Are you planning to continue with languages as an external module for your third year?
I might be able to help you a little with this. Personally, I took stage 1 Korean with CFLS as a module alongside my degree with my optional credits. From people that I have spoken to the workload depends on what type of language you are looking to study. For me it was quite a bit extra work outside of class time but I found that it was very worthwhile to do the extra work (some of which was mandatory and some that was not mandatory). That being said I found it pretty manageable once you get used to it but it would also depend on how many contact hours your degree requires. I study social sciences so I tend to have fewer contact hours and more independent study than that or say STEM courses for example but I think its pretty manageable. But like I said it really depends on what language you want to study on the side as I know many people doing Japanese or Chinese (Mandarin) on the side had little mandatory work outside of the set class time.
Original post by Namakii
I might be able to help you a little with this. Personally, I took stage 1 Korean with CFLS as a module alongside my degree with my optional credits. From people that I have spoken to the workload depends on what type of language you are looking to study. For me it was quite a bit extra work outside of class time but I found that it was very worthwhile to do the extra work (some of which was mandatory and some that was not mandatory). That being said I found it pretty manageable once you get used to it but it would also depend on how many contact hours your degree requires. I study social sciences so I tend to have fewer contact hours and more independent study than that or say STEM courses for example but I think its pretty manageable. But like I said it really depends on what language you want to study on the side as I know many people doing Japanese or Chinese (Mandarin) on the side had little mandatory work outside of the set class time.

Thanks for your reply! I was thinking about doing Japanese so it sounds like it could work.
Original post by olivia32123
Hi, I know this is from a year ago but I am considering applying to Durham for maths and am very keen on taking language modules as well, would love to hear about your experience of taking it as an external module - if you’ve found it more difficult to find the time for it or any differences in workload? Are you planning to continue with languages as an external module for your third year?

Hi there

I'm studying law in my second year but also took Korean level 1 as one of my optional modules. Honestly, I absolutely love the course and have never repented choosing to study it. We have 3 contact hours each week for Korean and the rest is supposed to be independent study but I have barely done more than 20 hours of independent study this term and have still progressed really well (as have most students who pay attention in class). In a nutshell, 10 weeks in one term x 3 hours each week = 30 hours which basically indicates that I've studied this language for one day and I can already understand it and have learned some basic vocabulary and grammar!

Our teacher's really cool and she barely gives any mandatory homework, but as someone else has mentioned, it may vary depending on what language you study. Plus my Korean teacher is also learning Chinese now and she finds it more difficult to learn. So it will really depend not only on the instructor but also on the complexity of the language.

-Himieka

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending