The Student Room Group

Sign the petition to help private candidates who have been left out again

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/559964. Fors ome people if the government doesn't help us it will be their 3rd or 4th gap year. Centres are asking us up to 1k to enter us for exams which is too expensive and unaffordable for most of us. We aren't asking for exams to be brought back for everyone but just for us private candidates as they are our only solution for us to progress with our lives.
Reply 1
Original post by Justthoughts17
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/559964. Fors ome people if the government doesn't help us it will be their 3rd or 4th gap year. Centres are asking us up to 1k to enter us for exams which is too expensive and unaffordable for most of us. We aren't asking for exams to be brought back for everyone but just for us private candidates as they are our only solution for us to progress with our lives.

Its definitely not fair on external candidates. I am now paying 1k to a private centre to do resits. I had to get a job during the pandemic to fund this and if they don't give us a grade this year, its really not fair. I called them up yesterday and they said they don't know what they will do and if they are allowed to make us sit a mock.
Reply 2
Yes 100% agree.

Could I please ask something?. I personally haven't paid to sit yet for my A levels as a external/private candidate. And now exams are cancelled.

Is it worth paying for? Will I even get graded? Will there be a mock exam? And will there be an option to sit an exam in October/November 2021?
Original post by vnmp6
Its definitely not fair on external candidates. I am now paying 1k to a private centre to do resits. I had to get a job during the pandemic to fund this and if they don't give us a grade this year, its really not fair. I called them up yesterday and they said they don't know what they will do and if they are allowed to make us sit a mock.
Reply 3
Original post by Why do I
Yes 100% agree.

Could I please ask something?. I personally haven't paid to sit yet for my A levels as a external/private candidate. And now exams are cancelled.

Is it worth paying for? Will I even get graded? Will there be a mock exam? And will there be an option to sit an exam in October/November 2021?

I had to pay in three instalments from November to December as I was working for it. I only started paying early as they said I would be saving around £100 if I started paying early. Before I paid I asked them what they will do if exams are going to be cancelled and they said they would do a mock if its cancelled and now they are saying they are unsure. Tbh, 1k is way too much for an average student to pay. If we were to do it through a college or sixth form it would have been around £300 for three subjects as we don't need to pay administration fee. The private centre did offer me a predicted grade which they are still working on. Im not even sure if its worth it. Hopefully they do a mock online cos I really want to go uni this year. If you do want to pay for the exams, you would have to do it soon as I think the deadline is approaching. Im really not sure is there would be an option to sit an exam in October like they did last year.
Reply 4
Original post by vnmp6
I had to pay in three instalments from November to December as I was working for it. I only started paying early as they said I would be saving around £100 if I started paying early. Before I paid I asked them what they will do if exams are going to be cancelled and they said they would do a mock if its cancelled and now they are saying they are unsure. Tbh, 1k is way too much for an average student to pay. If we were to do it through a college or sixth form it would have been around £300 for three subjects as we don't need to pay administration fee. The private centre did offer me a predicted grade which they are still working on. Im not even sure if its worth it. Hopefully they do a mock online cos I really want to go uni this year. If you do want to pay for the exams, you would have to do it soon as I think the deadline is approaching. Im really not sure is there would be an option to sit an exam in October like they did last year.

Oh thank you a lot. They should do a mock exam definitely to determine grades

Did you parents refuse to pay for you?
Reply 5
Original post by Why do I
Oh thank you a lot. They should do a mock exam definitely to determine grades

Did you parents refuse to pay for you?

You welcome . No they didn't refuse, I felt like it was my fault that I failed my exams last year so I decided to pay for it myself. They are don't have a spare 1k in the bank so i felt like I needed to pay.

Quick Reply

Latest