Have the latest Covid-19 announcements affected your decisions about university?

Watch this thread
Poll: Have the latest Covid-19 announcements affected your decisions about university?
It's complicated, I'll tell you more in the thread... (35)
6.35%
I've decided not to go to university (27)
4.9%
I'm more likely to go to university now (33)
5.99%
I've decided to go to a university nearer to my home town (44)
7.99%
I’m considering different universities (33)
5.99%
I am choosing a more career-related course (38)
6.9%
I am choosing a course based on what I’m passionate about (69)
12.52%
It hasn't changed anything for me (272)
49.36%
StrawberryDreams
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
It's a really stressful time at the moment, with announcements and new information coming out left right and center at the moment surrounding education and university. How has that left you feeling if you are applying to uni this year?

Has it impacted your decision to go to university at all? Or the type of course/university you were thinking of? Or is it too early in the day to make decisions with the situation quickly evolving?

Let us know your thought processes and what you're concerned about - what information would it be useful for you to have?

Hope you're all taking care and staying safe
meowgaryen
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Last year, I applied for a foundation in acting at East 15 and Mountview. Got accepted at both but had to withdraw once the lockdown was announced. I used to do a lot of creative stuff when I was younger but with acting, I started quite late when I was 18. I came to the UK at the age of 20, hoping to settle here. And then I thought that I will give it ago.

It's not that I don't want to anymore. It's the uncertainty about the sector. But I think the real problem was that my future, my wellbeing, my saucepan were not in my hands. I thought I'm fine with the idea that someone else will decide whether I get this role that will pay my bills and put food in my saucepan. And then COVID-19 happened and my future depends on the government's response and pure luck. Swap the government with a casting director, and you get a job description for actors. And I've realised that I'm actually not fine with it, and I want to be assessed based on my skills and knowledge and not on whether a casting director was in a good mood today.

So I decided to apply for biomedical science with a foundation year with the Westminster. I went for a technical school of mechatronics, so my grades didn't allow me to go anywhere else. I know that this forum keeps ******** on that uni but the pandemic showed that Russell Group is not that amazing either as this forum try to convince people.

I will still try to do an amateur theatre with a local theatre. And once I get a job and money, I'll invest in voice acting set up and then courses. But yea, I'm not going into drama school and an acting career thanks to covid.
Last edited by meowgaryen; 1 year ago
Anonymous1502
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
It hasn't changed anything for me, I think at times I am grateful as I can study from home while my university is at the other end of the country.
Pugglet
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
What has angered me is the fact we are expected to continue as normal and hand work in as if teaching hasn’t been affected.
Plus the feedback is now taking double the time previously as “pandemic” and we can’t work as normal.
SupposedlyIronic
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I suppose it depends, as I wouldn't want to go if it's going to be a repeat of the current first years' experience, but I doubt that could happen again. I'll say that it very likely won't affect my decision as I just want to get on with life ASAP.
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
There are a total of 29 cases yesterday in my country but 48k in the UK.
The vaccination programme here starts in February, with 22.5 million doses ordered for 7.5 million people. The whole population will be vaccinated by the end of August, before term starts in HK.
If the UK covid situation is still bad in August, I will be starting a degree locally and come to the UK a further four years later for postgraduate studies. By then covid may even have been vanished and life may be much better.
Cb309243
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 8013)
There are a total of 29 cases yesterday in my country but 48k in the UK.
The vaccination programme here starts in February, with 22.5 million doses ordered for 7.5 million people. The whole population will be vaccinated by the end of August, before term starts in HK.
If the UK covid situation is still bad in August, I will be starting a degree locally and come to the UK a further four years later for postgraduate studies. By then covid may even have been vanished and life may be much better.
Out of interest which country do you live in ?
I'm from the uk and hoping desperately that the covid situation will be sorted by the new term. I'm applying to falmouth I'm a cornwall local and cornwall is one of the lesser parts of the country to be affected however as we are in another lockdown cases are rising. Scary stuff. I wish you the best !
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Cb309243)
Out of interest which country do you live in ?
I'm from the uk and hoping desperately that the covid situation will be sorted by the new term. I'm applying to falmouth I'm a cornwall local and cornwall is one of the lesser parts of the country to be affected however as we are in another lockdown cases are rising. Scary stuff. I wish you the best !
HK
Nyftyx
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ashtolga23)
I suppose it depends, as I wouldn't want to go if it's going to be a repeat of the current first years' experience, but I doubt that could happen again. I'll say that it very likely won't affect my decision as I just want to get on with life ASAP.
I agree completely. I'd like to add that the current situation regarding COVID-19 has affected my decision, so much so I am confronted with choice paralysis when I think about what to do. I've spent too long doing nothing, and I also want to get on with life ASAP, but I'm not sure if its too risky to apply or not. I would love to return to uni, but only if it was as close to 'normality' as possible. I know vaccines are being rolled out, and the notion of the 'old normal' is slowly becoming more likely, but one can never be too sure. Any advice?
SupposedlyIronic
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Nyftyx)
I agree completely. I'd like to add that the current situation regarding COVID-19 has affected my decision, so much so I am confronted with choice paralysis when I think about what to do. I've spent too long doing nothing, and I also want to get on with life ASAP, but I'm not sure if its too risky to apply or not. I would love to return to uni, but only if it was as close to 'normality' as possible. I know vaccines are being rolled out, and the notion of the 'old normal' is slowly becoming more likely, but one can never be too sure. Any advice?
Unfortunately I really know as much as you do at this stage. It sounds like you’ve been to university before though, whereas I’m in year 13?

I think there’s some light at the end of the tunnel, but we’ll have to see I suppose. You could definitely apply and see where it takes you though right? My boyfriend got into Durham last year but deferred entry, so if anything goes wrong you might be able to do the same.
harrysbar
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Nyftyx)
It's not risky to apply as you can withdraw from UCAS at any time so all you would lose is the small application fee. Personally I feel optimistic that uni teaching will be almost back to normal by September but you could always apply and then defer or just withdraw if covid is still a big issue by the start of the next academic year.
Nyftyx
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ashtolga23)
Unfortunately I really know as much as you do at this stage. It sounds like you’ve been to university before though, whereas I’m in year 13?

I think there’s some light at the end of the tunnel, but we’ll have to see I suppose. You could definitely apply and see where it takes you though right? My boyfriend got into Durham last year but deferred entry, so if anything goes wrong you might be able to do the same.
Yeah, I have been to university before. I dropped out ~2 years ago and I have done zilch since then, so I'm sure you can see where the desperation and sense of urgency is coming from. You're absolutely right about applying and giving it a shot, though. Thanks!
(Original post by harrysbar)
It's not risky to apply as you can withdraw from UCAS at any time so all you would lose is the small application fee. Personally I feel optimistic that uni teaching will be almost back to normal by September but you could always apply and then defer or just withdraw if covid is still a big issue by the start of the next academic year.
I'll admit, I kind of forgot about deferring applications, thanks for reminding me. Like ashtolga23, you're absolutely correct - there's very little to lose when applying if things go south. Where the majority of the concern originates from is the fact I'll be in accommodation (last time when I was at uni, I was living at home; I still am), so I have no idea how the logistics of that will all play out if things go down the crapper (if I even get to that stage, of course). Thanks though.

I will say, what you two have said has increased my chances of applying, so thanks again!
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
With the iAL getting cancelled, I have decided to take my safest offer (HKUST, ABB) and complete the degree there. I will be having less workload than most of my peers (as in 4 out of 8 semesters I only need to complete 12 credits instead of 15, and one semester only 9. I only need 102 credits to graduate compared to the standard 120)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (15)
28.3%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
41.51%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.77%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.66%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
7.55%
I’m starting to consider my university options (6)
11.32%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.89%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise