LangLitLyf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I'm looking to study English Language and Literature as a mature student, and I plan to apply to Russell Group Uni's, so I want to give myself the best chance of putting together a competitive application.

I'm struggling to find an Access Course to HE which seems right for me (although there is one English focused Humanities Diploma through the distance learning centre which I am considering), and so it seems most likely I'll be taking at least three A levels (I left school only with a BTEC in music but I have far greater academic ambitions now).

My main question is - would it be better to take both A level Language and Literature separately or combined? If combined, that gives me two other subjects, and I'd definitely go for history, I'm just not sure what else. Perhaps Classical Civilisation? I know it's not good practice to take subjects too similar to one another so I could do with some advice.

I'll likely be doing this distance learning, and came across Oxford College. Does anyone have any experience with them? I guess this last question might be better put to other mature students, but yes any advice would be much appreciated.
potterwatch
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by LangLitLyf)
I'm looking to study English Language and Literature as a mature student, and I plan to apply to Russell Group Uni's, so I want to give myself the best chance of putting together a competitive application.

I'm struggling to find an Access Course to HE which seems right for me (although there is one English focused Humanities Diploma through the distance learning centre which I am considering), and so it seems most likely I'll be taking at least three A levels (I left school only with a BTEC in music but I have far greater academic ambitions now).

My main question is - would it be better to take both A level Language and Literature separately or combined? If combined, that gives me two other subjects, and I'd definitely go for history, I'm just not sure what else. Perhaps Classical Civilisation? I know it's not good practice to take subjects too similar to one another so I could do with some advice.

I'll likely be doing this distance learning, and came across Oxford College. Does anyone have any experience with them? I guess this last question might be better put to other mature students, but yes any advice would be much appreciated.
Hiya there! I would certainly recommend taking both Eng Lit and Lang together... as an English Literature student, I would definitely say the A Level is more than rewarding and well worth it... and must stress that separately, this could prove quite heavy (as it is that way alone - especially with the coursework!) and so by not doing this as you said opens the doors to other subjects too. I am currently taking English Literature, History and Government & Politics. I'll admit, Politics wasn't always my first option as a third A Level and considered Classics, but found Politics complemented my other subjects en route to studying Law at university. I have absolutely no regrets with my decision - and have actually found that Politics is now my favourite subject! I think my main advice is to consider having a collection of subjects that adhere to your future aspiration/career you see yourself working towards... politics has much overlap with Law and it's always been advised not to study Law as an A Level so as to dive into the legal world and understanding it at university (have been told by many the first year at uni mostly consists of the introductions to Law anyways) But whatever you decide, all the best! Is it perhaps your aspiration to continue with an English degree at uni? If so complementary subjects would certainly be history, psychology, sociology, religious studies (ethics, philosophy and theology)!! Let me know if you have further questions
LangLitLyf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by potterwatch)
Hiya there! I would certainly recommend taking both Eng Lit and Lang together... as an English Literature student, I would definitely say the A Level is more than rewarding and well worth it... and must stress that separately, this could prove quite heavy (as it is that way alone - especially with the coursework!) and so by not doing this as you said opens the doors to other subjects too. I am currently taking English Literature, History and Government & Politics. I'll admit, Politics wasn't always my first option as a third A Level and considered Classics, but found Politics complemented my other subjects en route to studying Law at university. I have absolutely no regrets with my decision - and have actually found that Politics is now my favourite subject! I think my main advice is to consider having a collection of subjects that adhere to your future aspiration/career you see yourself working towards... politics has much overlap with Law and it's always been advised not to study Law as an A Level so as to dive into the legal world and understanding it at university (have been told by many the first year at uni mostly consists of the introductions to Law anyways) But whatever you decide, all the best! Is it perhaps your aspiration to continue with an English degree at uni? If so complementary subjects would certainly be history, psychology, sociology, religious studies (ethics, philosophy and theology)!! Let me know if you have further questions
That's really helpful, thank you. Yes my aspiration is to study Literature at degree level. I'm a songwriter, an aspiring fiction writer (something I've been doing for years though not in a professional capacity as in my songwriting) and increasingly a lover of literature, having always loved books as much as music. So the career/s I aspire towards are less defined than yours, and going to uni is as much something I feel I need to do for personal development, having limped along with limited success as an artist until now. Although I hope taking a degree course will open up a few other doors.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (67)
27.8%
England (82)
34.02%
Belgium (20)
8.3%
Germany (28)
11.62%
Spain (3)
1.24%