Have you been rejected when doing interviews for grad scheme?

Watch
shireen1212
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I applied for a grad scheme, did online interviews and completed exercises based on situations and I was rejected. I am upset because its my dream job. No other 'company' does this dream job of mine with the same salary. Its the main one in London. I am upset where do I go from here? I can reapply in 6 months but what am I suppose to do in the meanwhile apply for another full time job???
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by shireen1212)
I applied for a grad scheme, did online interviews and completed exercises based on situations and I was rejected. I am upset because its my dream job. No other 'company' does this dream job of mine with the same salary. Its the main one in London. I am upset where do I go from here? I can reapply in 6 months but what am I suppose to do in the meanwhile apply for another full time job???
Most people don't get to do their dream job- especially straight out of uni.

A lot of people hate their jobs for various reasons.

This is upsetting, but assuming you need money to survive, then yes, you will need to apply to other jobs.
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Grad schemes are often fiercely competitive with both skill and luck needed and even then the probability is low. I found a direct entry route to the company I wanted to work for and have worked my way up. It’s disappointing but when you find something in hindsight I doubt you’ll regret it
tjames988
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
You need to find others to apply for, don't expect to get the job you want especially if you only apply for one. For a lot of people, it takes over 50 applications to find a job out of uni, for me, it was around 70. Don't rest your entire future on one job at one company, research and find others to apply for.

What if this one company rejects you in 6 months then 12 months etc? The chances are if this is your dream job then it will also be others and the job application will be competitive.

Plus applying to other jobs and earning a bit lower is better than earning nothing
Last edited by tjames988; 8 months ago
shireen1212
Rep:
?
(Original post by tjames988)
You need to find others to apply for, don't expect to get the job you want especially if you only apply for one. For a lot of people, it takes over 50 applications to find a job out of uni, for me, it was around 70. Don't rest your entire future on one job at one company, research and find others to apply for.

What if this one company rejects you in 6 months then 12 months etc? The chances are if this is your dream job then it will also be others and the job application will be competitive.

Plus applying to other jobs and earning a bit lower is better than earning nothing
me oh myyy 70?!!!!!
woah I am in shock. What was your dream job and what are you working as now if you don't mind. Also when you said applied, do you mean you also did interviews and assessments etc? if yes how many of those out of the 70 jobs did you do
tjames988
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
me oh myyy 70?!!!!!
woah I am in shock. What was your dream job and what are you working as now if you don't mind. Also when you said applied, do you mean you also did interviews and assessments etc? if yes how many of those out of the 70 jobs did you do
Yeah, I think it was around that, can't remember as I only counted once and didn't want to count again ahah.
Started applying Sep 2019 at the beginning of my masters for grad roles, didn't get anything by the Sep 2020 so started applying for grad jobs for Sep 21. In the meantime still applying for jobs that were immediate I got a grad job in September 2020 which I started in December.
And dream job was to be an economist and that's the job I got. (But in this time I did also apply for some finance roles as a backup but didn't really want that).
Yeah so applied for like 70 jobs and think I had 5 assessment centres/ interviews before I got offered the role I am currently in.
What job are you going for because I would be surprised if there is only one company offering it?
shireen1212
Rep:
?
(Original post by tjames988)
Yeah, I think it was around that, can't remember as I only counted once and didn't want to count again ahah.
Started applying Sep 2019 at the beginning of my masters for grad roles, didn't get anything by the Sep 2020 so started applying for grad jobs for Sep 21. In the meantime still applying for jobs that were immediate I got a grad job in September 2020 which I started in December.
And dream job was to be an economist and that's the job I got. (But in this time I did also apply for some finance roles as a backup but didn't really want that).
Yeah so applied for like 70 jobs and think I had 5 assessment centres/ interviews before I got offered the role I am currently in.
What job are you going for because I would be surprised if there is only one company offering it?
oh wow. And I want to become a detective. I want to join the met police because they have the highest salary for the detective role. They have a grad scheme where you don't need to take the traditional route of becoming an officer for two years and then going into the detective role.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.35%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.1%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
17.96%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (64)
26.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.18%

Watched Threads