The alevel maths course is kind of intimidating lol

Watch
username5388440
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Im doing online alevels (not because of covid) and holy **** theres 9 entire THICC books just for maths???? Ive completed one book so far and the workload seems so intimidating :0
No real point to this post just...DAMB
4 pure maths, 2 statistics, 2 mechanics and one decisions....
MoAltrabsheh
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
do you do further maths ? i do maths (edexel) and only have 4 books - 2 pure -2 statistics and mechanics. i love maths. some questions i do are hard and complex, but the more hard questions i do, the clearer they become.
Lo12
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Yes as the person above said, there’s only 4 mandatory books for edexcel A level maths. Which exam board are you on?
username5388440
Rep:
?
(Original post by MoAltrabsheh)
do you do further maths ? i do maths (edexel) and only have 4 books - 2 pure -2 statistics and mechanics. i love maths. some questions i do are hard and complex, but the more hard questions i do, the clearer they become.
No i just do the normal alevel, do you just have core 1 and 2, 2 statistics books and mechanics 1 then? My online alevel provider kind of sucks and they give me almost no information so thankyou sm for commenting lol 😖
username5388440
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lo12)
Yes as the person above said, there’s only 4 mandatory books for edexcel A level maths. Which exam board are you on?
Do you know what books those are? I sort of bought all of them lol i thought something was a bit fishy
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by spacerat)
Do you know what books those are? I sort of bought all of them lol i thought something was a bit fishy
Are you a UK or international student? Which exam board are you following?
username5388440
Rep:
?

(Original post by Notnek)
Are you a UK or international student? Which exam board are you following?
Im a UK student and edexcel
stephsmhb
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago

No idea why you have 8 books then. I'm doing alevel maths and only have 4. Also decisions isn't part of the alevel maths course, are you sure you haven't enrolled for further maths
Last edited by stephsmhb; 3 months ago
vidi2020
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago

UM im doing edexcel and i only have 2 books for AS-
i think ur doing the wrong course or have got the wrong books LOL

ALSO WHATS DECISIONS? swear edexcel doesnt have descisions !
Last edited by vidi2020; 3 months ago
username5388440
Rep:
?
(Original post by vidi2020)
UM im doing edexcel and i only have 2 books for AS-
i think ur doing the wrong course or have got the wrong books LOL

ALSO WHATS DECISIONS? swear edexcel doesnt have descisions !
Im with a really BAD online course provider so im kind of just winging it what books do you have? I got kind of terrified cause my dumbass bought every single edexcel maths book lol
stephsmhb
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Im with a really BAD online course provider so im kind of just winging it what books do you have? I got kind of terrified cause my dumbass bought every single edexcel maths book lol
Just get the AS book statistics & mechanics, AS book pure maths, Alevel book statistics & mechanics, Alevel book pure maths. And make sure it's NOT further maths.
If you're still unsure maybe check the spec.
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Can you please link to or post a picture of these books? Did your course provider tell you to get these books?
username5388440
Rep:
?
(Original post by Notnek)
Can you please link to or post a picture of these books? Did your course provider tell you to get these books?
Ive got the CGP edexcel books with the blue covers ,not the pearson ones, my course provider just told me to 'make sure i get the books' and suggested CGP so when i went to buy them i just got all of them :/ they dont differentiate between maths/further maths on the covers or anything
vidi2020
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
LMAOO I'M IN YEAR 12 SO I HAVE
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-lev...ag=googhydr-21

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Mat...4APDZM3V8QMD5S

I have these and they are pretty good and good for practice however these books dont really help that much if you dont have a teacher to explain it btw
username5388440
Rep:
?
(Original post by stephsmhb)
Just get the AS book statistics & mechanics, AS book pure maths, Alevel book statistics & mechanics, Alevel book pure maths. And make sure it's NOT further maths.
If you're still unsure maybe check the spec.
Is that pearson? The books i have are CGP
username5388440
Rep:
?
LMAOO I'M IN YEAR 12 SO I HAVE
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-lev...ag=googhydr-21

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Mat...4APDZM3V8QMD5S

I have these and they are pretty good and good for practice however these books dont really help that much if you dont have a teacher to explain it btw
Tysm!! Do you use the CGP books in class at all? I have all the cgp books i just dk which ones i need lol :/
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Ive got the CGP edexcel books with the blue covers ,not the pearson ones, my course provider just told me to 'make sure i get the books' and suggested CGP so when i went to buy them i just got all of them :/ they dont differentiate between maths/further maths on the covers or anything
Do you have an example picture/link to one of the books? They could be old spec or further maths if they include decision maths.
vidi2020
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Tysm!! Do you use the CGP books in class at all? I have all the cgp books i just dk which ones i need lol :/
I haven't seen the CGP books cus we had to buy the pearsons one for school as it was compulsory so i didnt rlly need CGP. But knowing CGP they explain really well so you may wanna keep them tbh. What all books do you have?
username5388440
Rep:
?
I haven't seen the CGP books cus we had to buy the pearsons one for school as it was compulsory so i didnt rlly need CGP. But knowing CGP they explain really well so you may wanna keep them tbh. What all books do you have?
I have 4 pure maths books, 2 mechanics books, 2 statistic books and a decisions book, i heard theres only 4 books that i need so im guessing pure maths 1 and 2 then just the first statistics and mechanics books :0
stephsmhb
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Oh no dont get cpg, those are more like revision guides than textbooks. Get pearson or hodder education (i use elmwood education but no one else uses it so i dunno)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (110)
35.95%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (42)
13.73%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (18)
5.88%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (32)
10.46%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (37)
12.09%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (35)
11.44%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (32)
10.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed