chitkaraprakriti
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
i am predicted 95+ in all 5 subjects, which i believe translates to A* in all. My subjects are accounting, business studies, mathematics, economics, english, school doesn't offer further mathematics. i now realise that my chosen subjects are considered as narrow by most unis. have to submit my application, considering lse, ucl, warwick, manchester, bristol, kcl but confused which 5 to apply to. where do you think i can receive an offer from? any advice on articles and blogs i can mention in my ps would also be appreciated.
econ.person
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What qualification system are you studying?

In the UK system (A-levels), people would only study 3/4 subjects in depth, so I’d assume your qualification’s level of mathematics wouldn’t be too high given the number of subjects. Hence, I’d avoid LSE. During my undergraduate studies at LSE (BSc economics), almost everyone had further maths a-level. You may struggle with UCL too, but have a better chance.

The rest should be fine, under the assumption that 95% is hard to achieve and that your personal statement is well written. Mention that further mathematics is not available at your school and ask your referee to also mention it.

Also, make sure you apply to a wider spread though, not just top unis.
chitkaraprakriti
Rep:
?
(Original post by econ.person)

In the UK system (A-levels), people would only study 3/4 subjects in depth, so I’d assume your qualification’s level of mathematics wouldn’t be too high given the number of subjects. Hence, I’d avoid LSE. During my undergraduate studies at LSE (BSc economics), almost everyone had further maths a-level. You may struggle with UCL too, but have a better chance.

The rest should be fine, under the assumption that 95% is hard to achieve and that your personal statement is well written. Mention that further mathematics is not available at your school and ask your referee to also mention it.

cbse board. I'm from India, so the system is quite different here. and I'm expecting around 97-98% for myself, but the school thought it was wiser to leave it at 95+.
chitkaraprakriti
Rep:
?
(Original post by econ.person)

given how expensive it is to pursue an education in uk for international applicants, I'd only go if I get into one of the top unis. otherwise, instead if going to an average uni there, i might as well go to one of the best ones here at really, really low prices. kinda bummed to think that my chances at lse are slim to none
econ.person
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by chitkaraprakriti)
given how expensive it is to pursue an education in uk for international applicants, I'd only go if I get into one of the top unis. otherwise, instead if going to an average uni there, i might as well go to one of the best ones here at really, really low prices. kinda bummed to think that my chances at lse are slim to none
If it's the case that you'd only go to a top uni in the UK, then I'd say apply to Cambridge (too late for this year, unless you're a mature applicant), LSE, UCL and Warwick, as those are the top economics departments in the country. Though I'd have to say Economics from Indian unis are not as well respected compared to Engineering, and they are four years long, rather than the three in the UK. Hence, it may still be advisable to take a place at a UK uni than Indian one if you can afford to do so and passionate to get the best economics degree you can.

Also when I said spread your applications, I meant places like QMUL, City Uni London, Sheffield, Cardiff etc. Not places like London Met or UEL. The former are still respectable places and worth the fees if your parents are happy to pay it.
Legiterspams
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by chitkaraprakriti)
i am predicted 95+ in all 5 subjects, which i believe translates to A* in all. My subjects are accounting, business studies, mathematics, economics, english, school doesn't offer further mathematics. i now realise that my chosen subjects are considered as narrow by most unis. have to submit my application, considering lse, ucl, warwick, manchester, bristol, kcl but confused which 5 to apply to. where do you think i can receive an offer from? any advice on articles and blogs i can mention in my ps would also be appreciated.
Hey, i am from India too and applied this year. LSE, UCL, Warwick are perfect but I changed my KCL to Edinburgh 2nd year direct entry because KCL econ dept is simply new and its econ ranking is not high (KCL is famous for its medicine/bio related courses), plus its 28k compared to 22k-23k. Bristol econ is really good and may be your 4th choice, 5th- Edinburgh (start from year 2). I am pretty sure unis want grades which in your case is high and not a problem. But do remember for LSE your personal statement has to exceed that of Oxbridge(I’ve seen ppl getting offers from Oxford Cambridge but rejected from lse)
Last edited by Legiterspams; 1 month ago
Xapexvipez
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
so ive applied to my unis and so far 1 has got back to me giving me a conditional offer. its lancaster uni for an economics and finance degree. do i need to do an interview or not?
Legiterspams
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Xapexvipez)
so ive applied to my unis and so far 1 has got back to me giving me a conditional offer. its lancaster uni for an economics and finance degree. do i need to do an interview or not?
Lancaster dissent do interviews for these courses
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling being back in school?

Happy (40)
25.32%
Unhappy (43)
27.22%
Conflicted (75)
47.47%

Watched Threads