Official Durham University Postgrad 2021!

Watch
Manclass98
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Thought I'd create a thread for postgraduate applications to Durham University. I'll start:

I applied for the Mst Musicology and was offered a place with conditions of a 2:1. Yet to respond as I'm waiting to hear from Oxford, but should I be unsuccessful with that, I'll be more than likely to accept my place, and ideally I'd like to apply for University College, or Ustinov College.

I also applied with an additional 500 word thesis for the MA Faculty Bursary, which I believe the decisions of that will be sent out around the end of March as per email guidelines I received about it.
Last edited by Manclass98; 10 months ago
lucymoose
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Manclass98)
Thought I'd create a thread for postgraduate applications to Durham University. I'll start:

I applied for the Mst Musicology and was offered a place with conditions of a 2:1. Yet to respond as I'm waiting to hear from Oxford, but should I be unsuccessful with that, I'll be more than likely to accept my place, and ideally I'd like to apply for University College, or Ustinov College.

I also applied with an additional 500 word thesis for the MA Faculty Bursary, which I believe the decisions of that will be sent out around the end of March as per email guidelines I received about it.
Glad I found this thread, I've been searching for one! I applied for the MA in International Relations of the Middle East on the 22nd of November, but still haven't heard anything. How long did it take to get your offer? Congratulations by the way
Manclass98
Rep:
(Original post by lucymoose)
Glad I found this thread, I've been searching for one! I applied for the MA in International Relations of the Middle East on the 22nd of November, but still haven't heard anything. How long did it take to get your offer? Congratulations by the way
Glad to be of help! Durham actually responded the quickest, my application was received on the 11/10 and I received my offer on 16/10. Manchester kept me waiting the longest, funnily enough. I keep my fingers crossed for you! Do you have a college preference at all? 😊
Wildean99
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Hi,

I'm currently sorting out my application now one of the English Studies MA programmes (Romantic and Victorian Literary Studies). Great to hear about other people making applications to Durham! Have you guys applied for any scholarships and do you know whether its possible to apply for multiple?
Manclass98
Rep:
(Original post by Wildean99)
Hi,

I'm currently sorting out my application now one of the English Studies MA programmes (Romantic and Victorian Literary Studies). Great to hear about other people making applications to Durham! Have you guys applied for any scholarships and do you know whether its possible to apply for multiple?
Hey!

I applied for the MA Faculty Bursary, as it was the only one I fell into. I'm not entirely sure if you can apply for multiple so I'd probably ask admissions. I do believe the English courses fall into the Faculty of Humanities though, so if you tick that box to say you want to be considered with your application, they can automatically look at that for consideration!
Wildean99
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Hey!

I applied for the MA Faculty Bursary, as it was the only one I fell into. I'm not entirely sure if you can apply for multiple so I'd probably ask admissions. I do believe the English courses fall into the Faculty of Humanities though, so if you tick that box to say you want to be considered with your application, they can automatically look at that for consideration!
Hi,

Yes, that's the same one I want to apply for, but I'm also eligible for the Santander Scholarship and Postgraduate Student Support Scholarship and want to apply for those. I'm going to just tick the MA Faculty Bursary for now because that has the closest deadline and then email and ask to be considered for the others afterwards because it says on the Faculty Bursary page to email to ask to be considered if you've already submitted an application. For the MA Faculty Bursary, it seems to suggest on the website that you just tick that you want to be considered but there is also a section for scholarship documents, so when you said before that you sent in a 500-word thesis for this application, how did you find out to do that?
Manclass98
Rep:
Hi,

Yes, that's the same one I want to apply for, but I'm also eligible for the Santander Scholarship and Postgraduate Student Support Scholarship and want to apply for those. I'm going to just tick the MA Faculty Bursary for now because that has the closest deadline and then email and ask to be considered for the others afterwards because it says on the Faculty Bursary page to email to ask to be considered if you've already submitted an application. For the MA Faculty Bursary, it seems to suggest on the website that you just tick that you want to be considered but there is also a section for scholarship documents, so when you said before that you sent in a 500-word thesis for this application, how did you find out to do that?
Ahh okay, yeah I'm really not sure about multiple applications, sorry! I think my financial income was slightly out for both of those, which is annoying as I don't get any financial support from home anyway, with working at uni etc.

I actually forgot to tick the box to be considered for it, so because I applied early on (October) I only saw the page on the site about the bursary after I'd received an offer. I just emailed the appropriate people (fairly certain it was just the admissions department) and asked if I could still be considered, they said yes. However, to be considered, your application has to show your clear intention for further study, a clear thesis potential etc, which I didnt really mention much in my original PS at all, so they offered me the alternative of submitting a 500 word thesis proposal. I just sent it to them before January 1st, but as deadlines arent until next week anyway, you wont need to do that if youve already mentioned the required steps in your actual PS.

Hope that wasnt too confusing!

EDIT - each of those scholarships you mentioned have their own separate application process and deadline, its just a downloadable form online to fill in, as far I can see. I dont think theyre open until later this year anyway, so I wouldnt worry about it.
Last edited by Manclass98; 10 months ago
Wildean99
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Ahh okay, yeah I'm really not sure about multiple applications, sorry! I think my financial income was slightly out for both of those, which is annoying as I don't get any financial support from home anyway, with working at uni etc.

I actually forgot to tick the box to be considered for it, so because I applied early on (October) I only saw the page on the site about the bursary after I'd received an offer. I just emailed the appropriate people (fairly certain it was just the admissions department) and asked if I could still be considered, they said yes. However, to be considered, your application has to show your clear intention for further study, a clear thesis potential etc, which I didnt really mention much in my original PS at all, so they offered me the alternative of submitting a 500 word thesis proposal. I just sent it to them before January 1st, but as deadlines arent until next week anyway, you wont need to do that if youve already mentioned the required steps in your actual PS.

Hope that wasnt too confusing!
Ah right, that makes perfect sense thank you! Yes, its so frustrating how they organise financial support (being next to non-existent!), especially this year when its so difficult to work anyway. I think I have that sort of information that they listed on the website in my personal statement but I'll go back over it now and make sure its coming through properly. Also, did you mention before that you're waiting on hearing from Oxford? I've applied there as well, for a similar English Mst course (1830-1914). I think for me it will come down to whether I get funding/scholarships and where. I'm at Newcastle University now and so there's an automatic alumni discount of 20% so if I don't get any extra funding I will probably end up staying here, but only time will tell. Are you at university currently or are you on a gap year? Also, if you'd prefer we can talk over private message just to avoid filling up and overwhelming your thread if you want - I don't have any friends applying for masters next year so its especially great to hear from other people in similar situations!
Manclass98
Rep:
Ah right, that makes perfect sense thank you! Yes, its so frustrating how they organise financial support (being next to non-existent!), especially this year when its so difficult to work anyway. I think I have that sort of information that they listed on the website in my personal statement but I'll go back over it now and make sure its coming through properly. Also, did you mention before that you're waiting on hearing from Oxford? I've applied there as well, for a similar English Mst course (1830-1914). I think for me it will come down to whether I get funding/scholarships and where. I'm at Newcastle University now and so there's an automatic alumni discount of 20% so if I don't get any extra funding I will probably end up staying here, but only time will tell. Are you at university currently or are you on a gap year? Also, if you'd prefer we can talk over private message just to avoid filling up and overwhelming your thread if you want - I don't have any friends applying for masters next year so its especially great to hear from other people in similar situations!
Sure! I'll message you
ByTor2112
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 10 months ago

I received a conditional offer for the MA Archaeology (Michaelmas 2021) in December. I am waiting for other universities (Exeter, Cambridge, Oxford) to respond to the applications I made before making a final plan for the 2021-2022 academic year. My concern, however, is that the offer from Durham specified that a non-refundable tuition deposit was due by the end of January 2021. Is this normal practice with postgraduate offers from other universities? It seems as if other universities expect postgraduate offer holders to wait until the Spring/Summer before their course to make financial commitments.
Manclass98
Rep:
(Original post by ArchaeologyMPhil)
I received a conditional offer for the MA Archaeology (Michaelmas 2021) in December. I am waiting for other universities (Exeter, Cambridge, Oxford) to respond to the applications I made before making a final plan for the 2021-2022 academic year. My concern, however, is that the offer from Durham specified that a non-refundable tuition deposit was due by the end of January 2021. Is this normal practice with postgraduate offers from other universities? It seems as if other universities expect postgraduate offer holders to wait until the Spring/Summer before their course to make financial commitments.
Congrats! I’m also awaiting a decision from Oxford, but upon finding out about the rule of thumb to live within 25 miles of the city, my plan of commuting from home isn’t looking good.. so I’m kind of hoping I don’t get an offer, to make my decision easier 😂

I do know of some that ask for a fee, extremely limited number of courses who do, and I’m really not sure why. I think Oxbridge also fall under that category, so it may be best to chase it up with him about why it’s even a thing.
Sandtrooper
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
It might be for international students, but it's not normal for UK students, as far as I am aware.
Manclass98
Rep:
(Original post by Edminzodo)
It might be for international students, but it's not normal for UK students, as far as I am aware.
There are several subjects that require a fee, which is strange and unfortunate, but can occur.
lucymoose
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Is the Santander scholarship available for 2021-2022 entry? On their website it only indicates application dates for 2020-2021. Also I forgot to indicate I wanted to apply for it in my application, does anyone know if I can still apply?
Manclass98
Rep:
(Original post by lucymoose)
Is the Santander scholarship available for 2021-2022 entry? On their website it only indicates application dates for 2020-2021. Also I forgot to indicate I wanted to apply for it in my application, does anyone know if I can still apply?
They’re all separate to your actual application, and I don’t think they’re open yet anyway. Give them a quick email (PG admissions) to say you’re interested in applying when they open for applicants. I don’t think they’ll have an issue with adding that onto your application.
username5476892
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Applied for MSc Finance course (also applied to Imperial's Finance program). Haven't looked into the collegiate system too much so any help would be appreciated,
Manclass98
Rep:
(Original post by DurhamFinance)
Applied for MSc Finance course (also applied to Imperial's Finance program). Haven't looked into the collegiate system too much so any help would be appreciated,
I actually just received an email about the colleges, as I found it really confusing on how to actually pick one. I'll copy and paste in here:

''You would firstly receive an email form the Central Colleges Office asking you to select a college, and I believe a second and third choice, so this does not guarantee your first choice college. This is not done until around April time, so you do not need to choose your college until then. You are then automatically allocated a college, and if you have selected college accommodation they will contact you with an offer and an agreement to pay the advanced rent payment with is non-refundable and will confirm your offer of accommodation. This does not happen until around June/July, so plenty of time to decide on the offer of accommodation.''
ByTor2112
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
I actually just received an email about the colleges, as I found it really confusing on how to actually pick one. I'll copy and paste in here:

''You would firstly receive an email form the Central Colleges Office asking you to select a college, and I believe a second and third choice, so this does not guarantee your first choice college. This is not done until around April time, so you do not need to choose your college until then. You are then automatically allocated a college, and if you have selected college accommodation they will contact you with an offer and an agreement to pay the advanced rent payment with is non-refundable and will confirm your offer of accommodation. This does not happen until around June/July, so plenty of time to decide on the offer of accommodation.''
Has anyone decided on college preferences?
Manclass98
Rep:
Has anyone decided on college preferences?
University College would be my first, with Ustinov as my second. The good thing about Durham is they give you a few months to decide if you want accommodation or not at your chosen college (even if you tick that you’re interested and later don’t want it). I think if I’m fortunate enough to receive a bursary or scholarship I’d consider it, otherwise I’ll be commuting & so college isn’t too important to me. I’m not entirely sure on my third choice but I’ll definitely do some research.
ByTor2112
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
University College would be my first, with Ustinov as my second. The good thing about Durham is they give you a few months to decide if you want accommodation or not at your chosen college (even if you tick that you’re interested and later don’t want it). I think if I’m fortunate enough to receive a bursary or scholarship I’d consider it, otherwise I’ll be commuting & so college isn’t too important to me. I’m not entirely sure on my third choice but I’ll definitely do some research.
How likely are you to get your first choice?

I haven’t taken an intensive look at the colleges, but Hatfield seems appealing. I might also consider John’s, Castle, or another!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (19)
8.6%
Okay (65)
29.41%
A bit lacking (83)
37.56%
Not good at all (54)
24.43%

Watched Threads