The Student Room Group

Is it a turn off if a guy is bookish?

Mostly casually I guess, I think it's not a turn off if he's studious at school and uni because that's considered an achievement and can aid one's career prospects, etc. I know that's either neutral or good.

But what about guys who read for a hobby? fiction, non-fiction, it does't matter. Do you find guys who read a lot a turn off? is it considered boring and unexciting?

Scroll to see replies

Not for me.
I prefer to date guys that enjoy reading and have a large collection of books.
Reply 2
WHAT!!! Definitely not for me!!! I like someone who I can talk about music with, but talking to a guy about books is amazing and rare!! how come you ask? Definitely agree with londonmyst!
Original post by Anonymous
Mostly casually I guess, I think it's not a turn off if he's studious at school and uni because that's considered an achievement and can aid one's career prospects, etc. I know that's either neutral or good.

But what about guys who read for a hobby? fiction, non-fiction, it does't matter. Do you find guys who read a lot a turn off? is it considered boring and unexciting?

If society seriously deems reading as boring then we have failed as a civilisation
Reply 4
Original post by Rara345
WHAT!!! Definitely not for me!!! I like someone who I can talk about music with, but talking to a guy about books is amazing and rare!! how come you ask? Definitely agree with londonmyst!

The books he reads may be uninteresting to you, they may enjoy reading about US politics, evolutionary biology, medieval French history, etc and you may not. It doesn't mean you would be able to talk about books with them if you don't share the same interests.
I think your girlfriend made a thread on here about you reading too much.
Reply 6
Original post by Celtic Conjurer
I think your girlfriend made a thread on here about you reading too much.

I do not have a girlfriend so that was not about me.
Reply 7
This has never been an issue with any woman I have ever been with

If it's al you ever do, then maybe it's a bit dull

But people are not all the same, and there are no universal values of this sort
Reply 8
The books he reads may be uninteresting to you, they may enjoy reading about US politics, evolutionary biology, medieval French history, etc and you may not. It doesn't mean you would be able to talk about books with them if you don't share the same interests.

Yep, I see your point, and agree it's very valid, bc in my previous answer I focused on talking about books with him, however, for me, if a guy reads it's always more of a turn on, I would always be open to trying a book they liked,even if it is not in a topic I'm interested in at that moment, and then ask why he likes it etc...
Reply 9
Original post by setarexhx
If society seriously deems reading as boring then we have failed as a civilisation

It's usually a solitary activity. You can have book clubs where you can discuss books after you've read them but reading a book is usually a solo activity and reading together with someone is quite distracting/weird. It'd not be outlandish at all to be seen as boring. It's not exciting or fun for lots of people, most people do not read much I think. That's because they find it boring, tedious, etc.
It's usually a solitary activity. You can have book clubs where you can discuss books after you've read them but reading a book is usually a solo activity and reading together with someone is quite distracting/weird. It'd not be outlandish at all to be seen as boring. It's not exciting or fun for lots of people, most people do not read much I think. That's because they find it boring, tedious, etc.

I dont think something is boring just because it is a solitary activity, especially reading.
Original post by gjd800
This has never been an issue with any woman I have ever been with

If it's al you ever do, then maybe it's a bit dull

But people are not all the same, and there are no universal values of this sort

I mean, if you're working full-time, have pets, read 2 hours a day (not for academics, leisure), cook, clean and exercise, there's not enough time to do much else.
if hes a bookworm he might eat a lot of your apples so i'd beware
Reply 13
I mean, if you're working full-time, have pets, read 2 hours a day (not for academics, leisure), cook, clean and exercise, there's not enough time to do much else.

that's what weekends are for, la

Oh I also love coffee I guess. I've my own grinder and love making it and drinking it. But that's all, yeah.
no way. I want a guy who is smarter than me lolll

I wouldn’t want to date someone who had no time for me, whether that was because they were always reading or always playing sports or gaming or something. But I don’t think being bookish is a bad thing - I love reading myself.
Original post by nikkiblonsky
if hes a bookworm he might eat a lot of your apples so i'd beware

Nah, bookworms don't eat apples, they literally feed off of that substance used to bind books.
Nah, bookworms don't eat apples, they literally feed off of that substance used to bind books.

they live fr the part where a new chapter starts :biggrin:
Original post by gjd800
that's what weekends are for, la

Original post by Desideri
I wouldn’t want to date someone who had no time for me, whether that was because they were always reading or always playing sports or gaming or something. But I don’t think being bookish is a bad thing - I love reading myself.

Not experienced in dating but I'd think weekends are reserved for family, friends and possibly your gf/spouse? those are interests in some sense I guess.

Quick Reply