The Student Room Group

Why is it such a big deal to have online teaching instead of in person?

Online teaching can be also done well and to a high standard.
I agree. Are you talking about the recent announcements in the UK for education? because if you are I think the problem is that remote learning online learning
some find it more difficult
Original post by wizkid44
I agree. Are you talking about the recent announcements in the UK for education? because if you are I think the problem is that remote learning online learning

No, like for uni. I think remote learning online learning is the problem for my time at sixth form they did no lessons what so ever, a bit of independent tasks but no support. You can easily stimulate a normal lesson on teams not teachers get complacent
Depends on the subject.

Being taught maths online? Pretty straight forward.

Being taught music online? Its going to be worse.

Basically anything practical is very hard to do as effectively online. I'm involved in language education, which in terms of speaking/listening is perfect to do online, just as good as in person as long as you all have good internet connections, but many other subjects aren't suited in the same way.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous1502
Online teaching can be also done well and to a high standard.

It can be a problem for children from disadvantaged backgrounds who are less likely to have access to decent internet, and computer equipment etc. They may also find it difficult to find a quiet place to sit down and concentrate. I believe studies have shown that children in these groups find homework harder to do for these reasons, and if you take physical school out of the picture these problems get worse.

For university students I think the problem is of isolation - lack of interaction with their peers and the impact it has on "the university experience".

I agree that online teaching can be done to a high standard, and I suspect it is here to stay, although hopefully it will supplement rather than replace normal teaching once the pandemic is over.
As a uni student doing it online, whilst I might muss sitting by my mate and having coffee after, I really don’t miss the students who chatted all through the lecture or sat in front and played videos all through. That was very distracting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending