The Student Room Group

Cinematography

I’m currently studying fashion design but I’m thinking about trying cinematography since I’ve always loved photography and film.

But, I’ve been told that it’s better to do apprenticeships in film rather than studying it at uni.

To people who are studying / have studied / have done apprenticeships / work in film, is it better I look at apprenticeships and work or should I study cinematography at uni?

And if I should study, what is the best place to do so?
Original post by Christianwong16
I’m currently studying fashion design but I’m thinking about trying cinematography since I’ve always loved photography and film.

But, I’ve been told that it’s better to do apprenticeships in film rather than studying it at uni.

To people who are studying / have studied / have done apprenticeships / work in film, is it better I look at apprenticeships and work or should I study cinematography at uni?

I attended Northbrook MET College in Worthing for FdA in Digital Film & Photography but I dropped out at the end of 1st semester due to lack of filming lessons. Not much to learn out there, so perhaps doing apprenticeship in Film is the best idea rather than studying it at University.

Have you looked on the bfi/bfi academy, screenskills and similar websites to find out more about career paths and how to build your skills?

If you do decide to take a degree (for many people this is their best option to build skills, experience and a showreel using industry standard equipment/techniques) then CILECT members are the best option.
Reply 3
Hi, thank you for responding, I’m completely new to the film world. What does bfi and CILECT mean?
Hi, thank you for responding, I’m completely new to the film world. What does bfi and CILECT mean?

BFI : https://www.bfi.org.uk/ (British Film Institute)

CILECT : https://www.cilect.org/ (The International Association of Film and Television Schools (Centre International de Liaison des Ecoles de Cinéma et de Télévision CILECT)

Quick Reply

Latest