Tuition fees for applying to Oxford and Cambridge

Watch this thread
chessgini
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey everyone,
I am in year 12 currently and my dream is to study an Economics-related (not sure which one yet) degree at either Oxford or Cambridge. As everyone knows, the application process is extremely competitive and my parents want me to get a tutor/ tutor company to help me. Are they worth it/ what value do they add? What is the average fees they charge if I started with them now and worked till October/ November? Thanks for your help. It would be great to hear from people who may have considered taking tuition or have already taken tuition and secured a place at Oxbridge!
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by chessgini)
Hey everyone,
I am in year 12 currently and my dream is to study an Economics-related (not sure which one yet) degree at either Oxford or Cambridge. As everyone knows, the application process is extremely competitive and my parents want me to get a tutor/ tutor company to help me. Are they worth it/ what value do they add? What is the average fees they charge if I started with them now and worked till October/ November? Thanks for your help. It would be great to hear from people who may have considered taking tuition or have already taken tuition and secured a place at Oxbridge!
I would talk to your school - we support our students for nothing [state school].
threeportdrift
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hey everyone,
I'm afraid if you can't learn enough through the normal school teaching process and you ned a tutor then you probably won't flourish at Oxford or Cambridge (or indeed LSE, UCL etc). I realise this year is a different year re final exams, but it's the same for everyone. Chances are that if you are heavily tutored to get the grades for entry, you will crash and burn when you get there and there is no additional tutoring.
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Thanks for replying. I shall ask my economics teacher then. The thing is the economics department at my school is really struggling (only 2 teachers teaching around 10 classes in the whole school). I doubt I'll get much support from my school for applying to Oxbridge but I will try. I think the only way I'll be getting in is really following my passion for Economics and delve deeper than the AS curriculum.
They can point you to some resources - talk to the Head of Sixth/UCAS person too.
Student100020
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I’m in similar position, but parents can’t afford tutors so I pay using my part time job. Sometimes I think it’s a waste of money as everything they teach is in textbook, online and can be learnt in school for free. Although, saying that my I have gone up grades in all subjects. You will need to find a good tutor though.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Going to either Oxford or Cambridge does not guarantee you a happy and successful life.
The intense teaching style does not suit everyone - and this has nothing to do with ability.

Look at other Universities - they may have courses you prefer, and extras like placements and study abroad that you can't do at Oxford or Cambridge.

Durham https://www.dur.ac.uk/business/progr...ate/economics/
Bristol http://www.bristol.ac.uk/economics/study/undergraduate/
LSE https://www.lse.ac.uk/economics/study/undergraduate
John Wick11
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Don’t waste your money. As others have said there are plenty of free resources for those with a passion for their subject.
If you look at the ox & camb websites, they have plenty of resources on there - more than what the paid tutors can ever teach you.

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (275)
42.18%
The paper was reasonable (269)
41.26%
Not feeling great about that exam... (60)
9.2%
It was TERRIBLE (48)
7.36%

Watched Threads