The Student Room Group

Help! Need opinions on extra time & grades

Ever since I started A levels I have had some difficulty with learning, but I've been tested for dyslexia before and didn't have it, and did well in my GCSEs (seven grades 9-7), and so I never thought I needed help. However, the problems became very significant but my teachers never knew I was struggling. Examples of problems I had was mixing words around on paper/saying them, and very slow processing speed to the point where I couldn't keep up with the speed of learning content in my classes as everything would go in one ear and out the other and had to teach myself the content after at a very slow pace.

I'm currently in year 13, and in October I got tested for extra time and I got it as they found I had exceptionally low memory and processing speed. However, the major mocks I've done In year 12 and 13 that count as proof for CAGs, were done with no extra time (that its evident that i needed). In those exams, I was one mark off the next grade in each subject (which i need to get as my CAG), and that's mainly because I ran out of time (and i only got awarded extra time recently when i really needed it since the start of a levels).

Is this a good enough reason to bring up to my teachers so they can take this into consideration when deciding the grades (as the grades i need i was one mark off in each subject's exam), and is that a valid/understandable explanation? Obviously that would be accompanied by doing well this next term in classwork, homework and assignments.

I feel like my situation is extremely unfair, and I want my teachers to recognise the struggles i go through while learning, and take that into consideration hugely when deciding my grades.
Original post by EJL:)
Ever since I started A levels I have had some difficulty with learning, but I've been tested for dyslexia before and didn't have it, and did well in my GCSEs (seven grades 9-7), and so I never thought I needed help. However, the problems became very significant but my teachers never knew I was struggling. Examples of problems I had was mixing words around on paper/saying them, and very slow processing speed to the point where I couldn't keep up with the speed of learning content in my classes as everything would go in one ear and out the other and had to teach myself the content after at a very slow pace.

I'm currently in year 13, and in October I got tested for extra time and I got it as they found I had exceptionally low memory and processing speed. However, the major mocks I've done In year 12 and 13 that count as proof for CAGs, were done with no extra time (that its evident that i needed). In those exams, I was one mark off the next grade in each subject (which i need to get as my CAG), and that's mainly because I ran out of time (and i only got awarded extra time recently when i really needed it since the start of a levels).

Is this a good enough reason to bring up to my teachers so they can take this into consideration when deciding the grades (as the grades i need i was one mark off in each subject's exam), and is that a valid/understandable explanation? Obviously that would be accompanied by doing well this next term in classwork, homework and assignments.

I feel like my situation is extremely unfair, and I want my teachers to recognise the struggles i go through while learning, and take that into consideration hugely when deciding my grades.

Absolutely, you have a solid case and need to appeal on medical grounds.
Original post by EJL:)

Yes or you can enter a special consideration plea to the exam board. As long as you provide the medical evidence/ test results, then I would be optimistic. Speak to a teacher you trust or the exam officer to feel your way into how to proceed.

Quick Reply

Latest