The Student Room Group

Probability A level maths

So basically I got this question of the Venn diagram stuff and the whole thing to use the addition law don’t even sum up to 1. I’ve asked another app called Gauthmath and they gave me the answers the same as the textbook the whole thing just doesn’t make sense as the probability of A is just not right to fit into the Venn diagram
Reply 1
Original post by malli07
So basically I got this question of the Venn diagram stuff and the whole thing to use the addition law don’t even sum up to 1. I’ve asked another app called Gauthmath and they gave me the answers the same as the textbook the whole thing just doesn’t make sense as the probability of A is just not right to fit into the Venn diagram

image.jpg
image.jpg It’s Q2. Logically it doesn’t make sense for the probability of A to be 0.64 even when the probability of A’ is 0.36. And the whole question is basically a mess as it totals up to 1.07
Reply 2
Original post by malli07
image.jpg
image.jpg It’s Q2. Logically it doesn’t make sense for the probability of A to be 0.64 even when the probability of A’ is 0.36. And the whole question is basically a mess as it totals up to 1.07

I think the error lies in you putting 0.26 for the probability outside of set A and set B. Double check the calculation you used and it should all work out :smile:
Knowing that only P(B)=0.17 and that P(A')=0.36, just subtract to find the P(AorB)' = 0.19. Adding the probabilities you know, the sample space should equals 1.
P(A)+P(A')+P(AorB)'+P(AandB) = 1
P(A) = 1 - (P(A')+P(B)+P(AorB)'). What do you get?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by malli07
so basically i got this question of the venn diagram stuff and the whole thing to use the addition law don’t even sum up to 1. I’ve asked another app called gauthmath and they gave me the answers the same as the textbook the whole thing just doesn’t make sense as the probability of a is just not right to fit into the venn diagram

my gauthmath code: Vhl49d
Reply 5
Original post by Help Nogoonugget
my gauthmath code:

That probably isn't helpful now - this thread is 4 months old, the OP was asked to check their work and never came back :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest