Can I graduate with an Honours with 340 credits?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hi,

I’m a third year Childhood Studies student at Plymouth University (no longer attending student as finished course but had two outstanding module assignments) and I’ve just retook two assignments for the third time, that I’d previously failed the first time around and during the summer referral period. I’ve past first and second year and already have my Foundation degree but this year is to graduate with my BA Honours degree. I’ve just got the assignments back and I’ve passed one but failed the other by 5%. I’ve passed all my other modules but each module is only one assignment which means I’ve failed one module worth 20 credits. I will now have 340 credits overall and I’m soo stressed about what that means. As I don’t have the full 360 credits will I not get my honours degree or have to retake the whole module again. I work full-time and can’t afford to take out a loan for another year of uni!

At my university you could fail one module but had to be over 30% to not have to redo it, however mine was under that first time around. Now third time around it is over 30% but don’t know if that rule applies if you had to retake the module assignment.

I’m too scared to talk to the uni about what they’ll say but did make me aware of the possibility of not being able to continue my studies or graduate if I fail these two assignments again.

Would be so disheartening to loose my honours degree because of one module I was 5% away from passing. I am devastated about the whole situation atm and had not information from the uni so don’t know what to do or what it means?

If anyone has any advice on what I can do and what my options are or if there is way I can still graduate....PLEASE let me know!!!

Thank you in advance for any help!
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
You need to speak with your personal tutor and/or director of studies to find out what it means for you.

On some degree programmes it is possible to be "condoned" in a failed module and allowed to progress through the course and graduate with honours if you meet all other requirements when averaging out your marks including the condoned module etc. However usually this can only happen in modules that aren't designated as "core" (or something similarly titled) for your programme i.e. the modules which have been determined to be essential to your course that it is necessary for you to both take and pass in order to progress and graduate from the course.

If it's a condonable module then you might well be able to graduate; your average might be a little lower as a result of the lower marks from that module, but you would still get the degree. If it's not a condonable module, then given you are already resubmitting you will need to see what further options there are. Typically you can only take or resit a module (or the components of a module) up to a certain number of times (it varies between unis but is rarely more than 3), and so it may end up being that you are only permitted to graduate with an ordinary degree without the module being passed and with no further possibility to resit. Of course, if you have extenuating circumstances for having to resit it the first time, or for your results this time, then that may change things and lead to different outcomes.

The above is why it's essential you speak to the relevant contacts for your course to find out what your situation is and what if any next steps there are.
999tigger
Badges: 19
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi,

I’m a third year Childhood Studies student at Plymouth University (no longer attending student as finished course but had two outstanding module assignments) and I’ve just retook two assignments for the third time, that I’d previously failed the first time around and during the summer referral period. I’ve past first and second year and already have my Foundation degree but this year is to graduate with my BA Honours degree. I’ve just got the assignments back and I’ve passed one but failed the other by 5%. I’ve passed all my other modules but each module is only one assignment which means I’ve failed one module worth 20 credits. I will now have 340 credits overall and I’m soo stressed about what that means. As I don’t have the full 360 credits will I not get my honours degree or have to retake the whole module again. I work full-time and can’t afford to take out a loan for another year of uni!

At my university you could fail one module but had to be over 30% to not have to redo it, however mine was under that first time around. Now third time around it is over 30% but don’t know if that rule applies if you had to retake the module assignment.

I’m too scared to talk to the uni about what they’ll say but did make me aware of the possibility of not being able to continue my studies or graduate if I fail these two assignments again.

Would be so disheartening to loose my honours degree because of one module I was 5% away from passing. I am devastated about the whole situation atm and had not information from the uni so don’t know what to do or what it means?

If anyone has any advice on what I can do and what my options are or if there is way I can still graduate....PLEASE let me know!!!

Thank you in advance for any help!
Probably what artful lodger says, but looking at the regulations they look standard and its 320 credits for an ordinary degree without classification.
It is 360 credits for an honours degree, which uis standard across all unis for a 3 year course.
Were you paying for this yourself or were you getting student finance?

It will be up to the university if it wants to use its discretion. If its third time of submission, then they may give you the option to resubmit.
That would usually include doing the whole module again as failing it 3 times is rare, especially when its under your control about what to submit. I find it a bit alarming you werent able to garner enough feedback from the first two fails to identify where you needed to improve and just boost your essay? Is it lack of work, lack of depth, lack of understanding?

Looking at the regulations they are more complicated than I want to go into. but they are here and someone from the TSR community team can look at them for you.

My impression was there is scope to get a compensated pass for 20 credits as per regulation AST 5.1 on p9.
All these are at the discretion of the assessment board.
They can also refer you, but considering you have already made 3 attempts, that is usually the most that happens unless you have extenuating circumstances and wish to appeal within 10 days of getting your result.

https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/uploads/p...Assessment.pdf
https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/uploads/p...ification_.pdf

I would say you should refer to the people who are in charge of exams through switchboard or the SU adviser or your department.
If you cant face it then try and get a friend or parent to do enquire on your behalf. They may need your written authority.

I am in the right area, just need to confirm with the university what path they are following and its not as grim as I first thought. Hopefully you will get a compensated pass, if not then its up to them whether they give you yet another go or just give you an ordinary degree which isnt much use.

Good luck hope it works out or artful lodgers answer was better than mine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (1)
100%
No (0)
0%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed