fp3 hypobolic functions,

Watch this thread
Hedwigeeeee
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I think the differentiation in the first line should be positive, d(cosecx)/dx=-cosecxcotx, as there are 2 sine and according to the Osborn's rule, so I think d(cosechx)/dx =cosechxcothx, but the answer is negative, why is that?
Attached files
ram8_
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Differentiate using quotient rule so you can see more clearly where the negative comes from
Hedwigeeeee
Rep:
thanks but why I cannot apply the osborn's rule here? is this method not available or my working has mistakes?
Last edited by Hedwigeeeee; 1 year ago
Hedwigeeeee
Rep:
(Original post by ram8_)
Differentiate using quotient rule so you can see more clearly where the negative comes from
because if I use the osborn rule it seems that as there are two sines, so we should change the sign to positive
ram8_
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Hedwigeeeee)
because if I use the osborn rule it seems that as there are two sines, so we should change the sign to positive
You don't need to use that rule? It's only for trying to work out an equivalent identity for hyperbolics
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
thanks but why I cannot apply the osborn's rule here? is this method not available or my working has mistakes?
You can't use that rule using calculus. Stuff starts to become imaginary.
Hedwigeeeee
Rep:
(Original post by ram8_)
You don't need to use that rule? It's only for trying to work out an equivalent identity for hyperbolics
:yes:
Hedwigeeeee
Rep:
(Original post by mqb2766)
You can't use that rule using calculus. Stuff starts to become imaginary.
:yep:
ghostwalker
Badges: 17
Report 1 year ago
Hedwigeeeee

If you want convincing Osborn's rule doesn't work here:

\frac{d}{dx}\cos x = -\sin x

\frac{d}{dx}\cosh x = \sinh x

And not a sin^2 in sight.
Hedwigeeeee
Rep:
I mean there are two sines in cosechx(1/sinhx) and cothx(coshx/ sinhx), so it is sinh^2, so I think we should change the sign. though it is true that if we do not use the Osborn's rule, the sign will not change.
ram8_
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I think you are getting confused about Osborn's rule
Hedwigeeeee
Rep:
(Original post by ram8_)
I think you are getting confused about Osborn's rule
could you tell me what is wrong in my method
ram8_
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
It's for converting a non-hyperbolic trigonometric identity into an equivalent hyperbolic one. So it would swap signs for when there's a product of two sines, so the sinh version with be the opposite sign, e.g. cos^2(x) - sin^2(x) will be cosh^2(x) + sinh^2(x). You wouldn't need to use it for this problem as it is just differentiating. You can also confirm this by multiplying two sinh(x)'s in its exponential form.
davros
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
could you tell me what is wrong in my method
It's not remotely relevant to what you're trying to do

Osborn's rule allows you to convert a trigonometric identity into an equivalent hyperbolic identity. It has nothing to do with differentiation!

Seriously, forget all about it! I think I saw Osborn's rule once when I first learnt hyperbolics and then never used it again - it's as easy to derive the identities directly as it is to remember the correct conditions for applying the rule
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (219)
42.61%
The paper was reasonable (220)
42.8%
Not feeling great about that exam... (47)
9.14%
It was TERRIBLE (28)
5.45%

Watched Threads