The Student Room Group

Could I get a biology related job without Chemistry? (preferably Microbiology)

I'm in Y12. I do Maths, Geography and Biology. I like my subjects and don't really regret them as they're useful subjects to land basically any useful job. My problem is like most people, I'm not entirely sure on what I want to do when I'm older.

I just want to do anything with Biology because I love it. Plants, soil, animals, microorganisms, etc. interest me. I also want to make a good amount of money. One job that really interested me was Microbiology. I started looking into the job but apparently unis want "at least two A levels, including biology and preferably chemistry" (UCAS website).

Maybe if it was the start of Y12 and I had an idea of what I wanted to do, then maybe I would've dropped Geography for Chemistry but it's too late now. Like I said, I don't really regret my choices. It's just it looks like most Biology jobs need Chemistry too...
Reply 1
Hello,
I would definitely look at individual universities as they will all have different requirements. So you may be able to find some without the chemistry needed.
If it is preferably chemistry you could still apply but you’d be at a disadvantage. However most of the time maths is counted as a science I think.
I hope you can find something!
Original post by UrGrandpap
I'm in Y12. I do Maths, Geography and Biology. I like my subjects and don't really regret them as they're useful subjects to land basically any useful job. My problem is like most people, I'm not entirely sure on what I want to do when I'm older.

I just want to do anything with Biology because I love it. Plants, soil, animals, microorganisms, etc. interest me. I also want to make a good amount of money. One job that really interested me was Microbiology. I started looking into the job but apparently unis want "at least two A levels, including biology and preferably chemistry" (UCAS website).

Maybe if it was the start of Y12 and I had an idea of what I wanted to do, then maybe I would've dropped Geography for Chemistry but it's too late now. Like I said, I don't really regret my choices. It's just it looks like most Biology jobs need Chemistry too...

Check the universities you would like to attend. Some may see Geography as a second science.
Reply 3
Original post by slothz
Hello,
I would definitely look at individual universities as they will all have different requirements. So you may be able to find some without the chemistry needed.
If it is preferably chemistry you could still apply but you’d be at a disadvantage. However most of the time maths is counted as a science I think.
I hope you can find something!

That's the thing. There are some unis who take just Biology but even if I apply and get accepted, I'd probably struggle really bad. I'm not sure what to do.
Reply 4
Original post by 5hyl33n
Check the universities you would like to attend. Some may see Geography as a second science.

The thing is do you think I'd struggle really bad without Chemistry?
The thing is do you think I'd struggle really bad without Chemistry?

I’m not sure how the degree works but if Chemistry isn’t required or stated as preferred then the university should provide some support through extra sessions for those who don’t have Chemistry.

You could always self-teach some of the Chemistry content before starting your degree in the Summer. You will be bored anyway.
Reply 6
Original post by 5hyl33n
I’m not sure how the degree works but if Chemistry isn’t required or stated as preferred then the university should provide some support through extra sessions for those who don’t have Chemistry.

You could always self-teach some of the Chemistry content before starting your degree in the Summer. You will be bored anyway.

Wow this is really assuring! Thank you!!
Reply 7
That's the thing. There are some unis who take just Biology but even if I apply and get accepted, I'd probably struggle really bad. I'm not sure what to do.

As the other person said, you could always teach a bit to yourself. And you’ll be learning as you go along.
Keep your options open though as you never know you may find something else that will interest you!
Reply 8
Original post by slothz
As the other person said, you could always teach a bit to yourself. And you’ll be learning as you go along.
Keep your options open though as you never know you may find something else that will interest you!

Yeah, thank you for the advice! I'll definitely be teaching some needed Chemistry to myself. After all, we're already learning some Chemistry in our Biology lessons so maybe it's just the same type of biochem that I'll need to learn, just a little more in detail.

When you said to keep my options open, do you mean look at other Biology jobs I'd like? If yes, then I'm doing that too however I'm focused mainly on Microbiology.
Hi, I literally have the same situation as you.
May I ask how everything's going? or how has everything been? I've really been struggling

Latest