Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Best bank to open an account with for a 16 year old Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have just got a job and so I am looking for a bank to open an account with. I am 16. I have heard that quite a few banks do pretty good student accounts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheeseandbiscuits)
    I have just got a job and so I am looking for a bank to open an account with. I am 16. I have heard that quite a few banks do pretty good student accounts.
    You can't get a student account yet - you have to be in uni/college, and be 18 to have access to overdrafts (the main difference that a student account has to othters), What you can get though is a current account and a solo/debit card. ATM, I'm with natwest - interest isn't great but online banking makes things easy when shifting money and no hidden fees, as long as you stay in the positve.

ReputationRep:
    I got a Nationwide FlexAccount

Pretty good, and has e-savings which offers a decent interest rate.

But I think Alliance and Leicester offer an even better interest rate (10%), but you have to put in 250 a month, and I think you can only put in a max of 1000 overall.

lloyds do good online banking, savings account. And you get a Visa debit card which is particulary good if you go abroad.

ReputationRep:
    I'm with Lloyds - Pretty good service from a larger bank; VISA Debit card when you're 16 is fantastic - much more widely accepted than Solo/Electron, and easy-to-use Internet Banking + Text Alerts.

You don't get a lot of interest on this (their Under 19s) account, but you have access to an Online Saver or Cash ISA, both of which give about 6% to start with, and there's no minimum balance (maybe £10 for the Cash ISA).

You can apply online.

ReputationRep:
    All the banks offer near identical facilities for 16 year olds anyway so it doesn't really matter.

ReputationRep:
    What about Natwest because that it is who I was thinking of going with?

ReputationRep:
    i'm 17 and with natwest, and i haven't had any problems so far. if you stay with natwest up until you're at university (which i'm planning to do) then you'll get that railcard that gives you 1/3 off all train journeys.

ReputationRep:
    I had a Nationwide account then, it was pretty decent.

I'm with Natwest for my student account now though, and I've been told their other young people's accounts are pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    I went with halifax in the end just for the reason they offered me a Visa Debit card lol

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I'm with abbey, you can do the online handling thing, have a visa/debit card as well as cash card and a cheque book.

ReputationRep:
    ^^ Abbey only offer a Visa Electron to 16 year olds.

ReputationRep:
    nationwide smard account is a good account!

ReputationRep:
    I have had several bank accounts but now I have decided to stick with Barclays and NatWest. Natwest's specific teen account is NatWest Adapt. .... Don't get it as this account is ********!!!! It wouldnt accept payments such as BACS so bad for EMA and job payments. Instead open a Current Plus account with them as this account lets ou have a chequebook and Visa Debit

I also have Barclays Young persons account: Visa Debit and Chequebook

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: July 20, 2010
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Is GoT overrated?
Useful resources
How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.