Is this correct? A level chem bond reactivity and boiling points

Watch this thread
username3477548
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=1291685

I was confused so i came across this old thread but everyone is so confusingggg lmao. So i was just wondering if this is correct? I dont want to get mixed up/the wrong way around.

The strength of the C-X bond is the following order (strongest first):

C-F > C-Cl > C-Br > C-I

The reactivity of the halogenoalkanes is in the reverse order:

most reactive ---> least reactive

C-I > C-Br > C-Cl > C-F

The reactivity of the halogenoalkanes depends on the breaking of the C-X bond. AS the C-F bond is the strongest, it is the hardest to break, and therefore fluroalkanes are least reactive of the halogenoalkanes. [copied from a user from the thread]
hdurber
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by vix.xvi)
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=1291685

I was confused so i came across this old thread but everyone is so confusingggg lmao. So i was just wondering if this is correct? I dont want to get mixed up/the wrong way around.

The strength of the C-X bond is the following order (strongest first):

C-F > C-Cl > C-Br > C-I

The reactivity of the halogenoalkanes is in the reverse order:

most reactive ---> least reactive

C-I > C-Br > C-Cl > C-F

The reactivity of the halogenoalkanes depends on the breaking of the C-X bond. AS the C-F bond is the strongest, it is the hardest to break, and therefore fluroalkanes are least reactive of the halogenoalkanes. [copied from a user from the thread]
As you progress down group 7 the number of electrons increases, and hence there are a greater number of electron shells. More shielding around the nucleus results in weaker electrostatic forces of attraction between the nucleus and outer electrons. For group 7 non metals to react, 1 electron has to be gained, so in fact it is the fluorine which is most reactive and the iodine which is least reactive as there are stronger electrostatic forces of attraction between the nucleus and outer electrons with fewer electron shells in fluorine and hence it takes less energy to gain an electron. In terms of the strength of the C-X bonds, what you've put is correct. Hope this helps.
Last edited by hdurber; 1 year ago
username3477548
Rep:
(Original post by hdurber)
As you progress down group 7 the number of electrons increases, and hence there are a greater number of electron shells. More shielding around the nucleus results in weaker electrostatic forces of attraction between the nucleus and outer electrons. For group 7 non metals to react, 1 electron has to be gained, so in fact it is the fluorine which is most reactive and the iodine which is least reactive as there are stronger electrostatic forces of attraction between the nucleus and outer electrons with fewer electron shells in fluorine and hence it takes less energy to gain an electron. In terms of the strength of the C-X bonds, what you've put is correct. Hope this helps.
ahh kk thanks so much mate. so its all correct feww so i dont have to go and change my notes aha
iceberg5
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
ahh kk thanks so much mate. so its all correct feww so i dont have to go and change my notes aha
Ah, hello again! Chem making sense now?
username3477548
Rep:
(Original post by iceberg5)
Ah, hello again! Chem making sense now?
hi again yes a lil more now thanks...lets hope its crystal clear by monday haha
username3477548
Rep:
hi again yes a lil more now thanks...lets hope its crystal clear by monday haha
that was supposed to be a pun btw
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (18)
31.03%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.93%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.45%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.17%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.9%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
12.07%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.72%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise