The Student Room Group

In year 11, moving to Scotland after GCSE's and have no clue

I'm in year 11 in England. Moving to Scotland after finish GCSE's. what do I do there? It seems astray and I cant grasp the system there and how to transition. What would be the possible paths from then. THANKS
Original post by Apolloz
I'm in year 11 in England. Moving to Scotland after finish GCSE's. what do I do there? It seems astray and I cant grasp the system there and how to transition. What would be the possible paths from then. THANKS

You could continue high school think the equivalent year would be fifth year/S5. You would study highers or national 5s. There’s also college qualifications like HNC or NC if you have the grades. If you’re not wanting to go back to a school/college environment there’s plenty of other opportunities like apprenticeships and internships if you want to go straight into a specific career path.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by saraahmed2
You could continue high school think the equivalent year would be fifth year/S5. You would study highers or national 5s. There’s also college qualifications like HNC or NC if you have the grades. If you’re not wanting to go back to a school/college environment there’s plenty of other opportunities like apprenticeships and internships if you want to go straight into a specific career path.

I've seen things about Advanced Highers. is it possible to do those with grade 7-8 in GCSE. and how long would it be for?
Original post by Apolloz
I've seen things about Advanced Highers. is it possible to do those with grade 7-8 in GCSE. and how long would it be for?

GCSE would be equivalent to our national 5, then it’s higher which is equivalent to A- level, then advanced higher. So I think you would need to study a higher or A- level before hand. Highers take a year usually done in S5 or S6, then advanced highers done in S6 or an equivalent qualification in college. Universities generally accept highers at grades A and B or a college qualification at grade A. Obviously each uni would be different. Advanced highers are usually used to progress on to more advanced degrees like medicine. Hope this answers ur questions. Happy to answer more questions.
Reply 4
set up a hypothetical scenario. Move, do highers(1 year), then uni? sorta mind set is to be like accounting or marketing admin something along those lines :smile:
Original post by Apolloz

I'm from Scotland and we had a lot of English pupils move to our school, it does take a little while to grasp the Scottish system.

The Scottish Exams are governed by a body called the SQA (Scottish Qualifications Authority) and their High School Qualifications are: National 5s, Highers, and Advanced Highers. Each level takes only 1 year.

English GCSEs are roughly equal to Scottish National 5s. To my understanding, Scottish Highers and Advanced Highers are roughly equivalent to A-levels, Highers are just below A-Levels, Advanced Highers are just above. Most pupils do their National 5s in their Fourth-Year (S4), with Highers and Advanced Highers becoming available in Fifth-Year and Sixth-Year respectively (S5 and S6).

Given that you'll be moving to Scotland after you've completed your GCSEs, you'll be going into Fifth Year (S5) and beginning studying for your Scottish Highers.

I hope this helps, if anyone has any corrections regarding A-Levels vs Highers and Advanced Highers please let me know.

Quick Reply

Latest