The Student Room Group

Cumbria or Plymouth?

I've been given an offer by Cumbria and Plymouth Uni, both in marine conservation. both with pretty low access grades, Plymouth want CC and Cumbria want 96 UCAS points. However I really don't know which one to pick. they both have very different aspects of living because Plymouth Uni is based in a town but if I went to Cumbria the campus for my course is in Ambleside, in the lake district and is a tiny village that don't have a big Tesco, but the sound of living in a small village is fun to me but would I have more fun in Plymouth and get a better Uni experience? please help
Only you can decide this - its about your needs, interests and comforts.
If being in a smaller place bothers you, then Plymouth is a better choice.
On the other hand, a smaller Uni in a cheap area has advantages.

Advice about how to choose here : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/firm-and-insurance-choices
Reply 2
Just some advice about Ambleside (I live 5 miles from there). The public transport links - bus, are pretty infrequent and expensive. Housing and living in the Lake District is expensive too. Ambleside is miles away from a large supermarket and the village is completely overrun with tourists in the summer/ majority of the year. Parking is awful too and permits for the pay and display spaces are very expensive.

Ambleside has some positives. It’s small and quaint. There are shops - Tesco express, co-op, spar and local newsagents. There’s also a dentist and doctors in the village.

Living in the Lake District is indeed beautiful but there’s certainly costs when you’re local, it’s aimed at tourists an awful lot and prices reflect that.

I hope this doesn’t come across as too negative but as a student there’s a lot to consider. If you could get more specific advice about the course/ living costs from students then you might be able to make a better comparison.
Original post by Bexjw
Just some advice about Ambleside (I live 5 miles from there). The public transport links - bus, are pretty infrequent and expensive. Housing and living in the Lake District is expensive too. Ambleside is miles away from a large supermarket and the village is completely overrun with tourists in the summer/ majority of the year. Parking is awful too and permits for the pay and display spaces are very expensive.

Ambleside has some positives. It’s small and quaint. There are shops - Tesco express, co-op, spar and local newsagents. There’s also a dentist and doctors in the village.

Living in the Lake District is indeed beautiful but there’s certainly costs when you’re local, it’s aimed at tourists an awful lot and prices reflect that.

I hope this doesn’t come across as too negative but as a student there’s a lot to consider. If you could get more specific advice about the course/ living costs from students then you might be able to make a better comparison.

do you know what public transport is like from Ambleside to Kendal? I've only been to Ambleside once but remember being shocked by the costs in the grocery shops. If transport is really that bad ill probably have a look into ASDA deliveries. Cheers.
Reply 4
Original post by donnyd2001
do you know what public transport is like from Ambleside to Kendal? I've only been to Ambleside once but remember being shocked by the costs in the grocery shops. If transport is really that bad ill probably have a look into ASDA deliveries. Cheers.

It is expensive for travel and not very frequent. Thankfully though it’s pretty direct from Ambleside to Kendal. Check out Stagecoach 555. Obviously times will be different due to COVID but you could always contact Stagecoach to see how much a ticket would be.

Asda is about £5+ (can be cheaper) depending on the slot. I find it easier to use Tesco and they seem pretty reliable and slots become available at short notice too. Either way, definitely less or matching your bus price, I would imagine.
Reply 5
Original post by Bexjw
It is expensive for travel and not very frequent. Thankfully though it’s pretty direct from Ambleside to Kendal. Check out Stagecoach 555. Obviously times will be different due to COVID but you could always contact Stagecoach to see how much a ticket would be.

Asda is about £5+ (can be cheaper) depending on the slot. I find it easier to use Tesco and they seem pretty reliable and slots become available at short notice too. Either way, definitely less or matching your bus price, I would imagine.

Hi! Do you know any room for rent in Ambleside area? The Uni accommodation is fully booked already. And how is the part time job opportunities for students there?

Latest

Trending

Trending