amhihatewelsh
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
What are the best A-levels that compliment Biology and Psychology that aren't Chemistry or Sociology?
stillcrying
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
What are you thinking of studying at university? Maths is always a great subject to take.
username4406810
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by amhihatewelsh)
What are the best A-levels that compliment Biology and Psychology that aren't Chemistry or Sociology?
Perhaps, ask yourself whether you want to do 3 very similar a levels. Why not add in something a little different such as a more creative subject or a much more mathematical subject?
amhihatewelsh
Rep:
?
(Original post by stillcrying)
What are you thinking of studying at university? Maths is always a great subject to take.
Psychology or Law
L_lulu4
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I did biology psychology and history, history is quite good as it’s a knowledge based essay subject so it gets you used to writing out arguments and structuring essays
amhihatewelsh
Rep:
?
(Original post by L_lulu4)
I did biology psychology and history, history is quite good as it’s a knowledge based essay subject so it gets you used to writing out arguments and structuring essays
Did you do well in history?
stillcrying
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Psychology or Law
Maths would help with psychology but an essay/humanities subject would help with law. I'd suggest making a list of subjects you wouldn't mind taking for your third option and ranking them in order of enjoyment. A-levels are difficult and you need to enjoy your subjects to persevere with them. Really you'll have a good mix of subjects whatever you take, perhaps even look at university requirements to see if there are any subject specifics for psychology (I don't think there are for law)
stillcrying
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Oh and you could also take 4 to start with if you have trouble deciding between two subjects. Then you can get a feel for them in the first few weeks of college before proceeding with just 3. That's what I did with mine.
amhihatewelsh
Rep:
?
(Original post by stillcrying)
Oh and you could also take 4 to start with if you have trouble deciding between two subjects. Then you can get a feel for them in the first few weeks of college before proceeding with just 3. That's what I did with mine.
what A levels did you do?
emma543
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I do Biology, Psychology, and English Language (+ 2 enrichment) Although English doesn't exactly complement biology or psychology, it isn't content-heavy and that's what I love- because Biology and Psychology are very heavy! In some aspects, though English does complement- both Biol and Psychology include essays. I did originally have history as a fourth (intention was always to drop one), I dropped History mainly because I didn't find it as interesting as GCSE, and in the grand scheme of things I'm glad because it is really heavy. So, perhaps when making your decision think about revision in the long run and how you'll cope?

As well if you want to do Law- they like to see English or History.
Last edited by emma543; 4 months ago
ehughes33
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Pe
amhihatewelsh
Rep:
?
(Original post by emma543)
I do Biology, Psychology, and English Language (+ 2 enrichment) Although English doesn't exactly complement biology or psychology, it isn't content-heavy and that's what I love- because Biology and Psychology are very heavy! In some aspects, though English does complement- both Biol and Psychology include essays. I did originally have history as a fourth (intention was always to drop one), I dropped History mainly because I didn't find it as interesting as GCSE, and in the grand scheme of things I'm glad because it is really heavy. So, perhaps when making your decision think about revision in the long run and how you'll cope?

As well if you want to do Law- they like to see English or History.
What is the content of English Language that you had to do?
emma543
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
What is the content of English Language that you had to do?
I did OCR, which on TSR appears to be a rarity! There are theorists to learn, and you go way more in to depth for like grammar and lexis (word class)- but if you did well at GCSE it's easy to grasp- my favourite bit of the course was the coursework- which did take a lot of time but then Covid happened so I got most of it done after mocks (AQA has coursework too!). Once you have grasped how to answer the questions- you probably need to glance over your notes a week before a test and you'll be fine. To do well in the subject you just need to practice past exam papers really.

In terms of content specifically... remember this is OCR
1) Analysis terminology so like clause types etc
2) There is a topical writing section- where you explore gender issues, power, technology, and accents and dialects- it's a very humorous writing style. There are theorists that link to things e.g. Stanley found there was twice as many insults for women as there are for males
3) Language change- more terminology here
4) Child Language acquisition- theorists here
L_lulu4
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Did you do well in history?
I’m currently predicted an A in it and once you get the hang of how to structure it, it’s not a bad subject it’s fairly straight forward
stillcrying
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
what A levels did you do?
I'm in my final year of maths, physics and history. When I started college I was deciding between physics and politics for my third subject as I knew I didn't want to do four so I only took four for a few weeks to see which one I preferred.
hootdoot04
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
History or English as you showed an interest in law
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (82)
26.03%
England (108)
34.29%
Belgium (27)
8.57%
Germany (37)
11.75%
Spain (5)
1.59%