The Student Room Group

i feel like im not good enough

no matter how hard i try in school i just cant seem to get above a 5 :/

ill spned hours revising but i still wont get no more than a C
maybe try to improve quality of your work, no matter how long you work it may not contribute to grades if you are doing it in wrong way
Reply 2
Original post by scottishpenguin
maybe try to improve quality of your work, no matter how long you work it may not contribute to grades if you are doing it in wrong way

i watch videos and make notes from my book how else am i meant to revise? :frown:

i watch all the smart kids get 9's and when i ask them how they say they didn't do any revision??
Are you struggling with particular subjects or things like essay writing?
Reply 4
Original post by londonmyst
Are you struggling with particular subjects or things like essay writing?

I'm okay with a 5 in my essay subjects like English and history so I don't do much for them and art I'm on my way to getting a 9

I was allowed to drop Spanish

its just math and science for the amount of time i invest i should be getting more than a 5 but i just cant seem to do it :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
I'm okay with a 5 in my essay subjects like English and history so I don't do much for them and art I'm on my way to getting a 9

I was allowed to drop Spanish

its just math and science for the amount of time i invest i should be getting more than a 5 but i just cant seem to do it :frown:

I literally had the EXACT same problem all throughout yr10 and something I was doing was make notes and notes and notes but the problem with this is that you don’t know how to apply the knowledge you’ve learnt so my best advice is to revise a topic then look up practice gcse exam questions and when you’re done marking them see where you went wrong and use that to learn! Also can I ask what year you’re in since another reason I was only getting 5’a was because the end of yr tests I was doing for science had high made up grade boundaries but tbh with you,the science grade boundaries are pretty low imo which will definitely help in getting them 9s.
Also for science make sure you know your ‘practical side’ of things since they come up a lot,for example why a test may be unfair/causes of random errors.
This would be for example using too much volume of a certain solution for chem etc.
And for maths,It’s fairly easy to get a 7 since the grade boundaries are again low but also because all you have to know is the basics,I would stray away from learning sine/cosine and rather focus on learning your graphs and probability which comes up a lot imo. Also practice questions for maths is a MUST,because then you start to learn and notice the different types of questions they can ask.
Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Rose_symonia
I literally had the EXACT same problem all throughout yr10 and something I was doing was make notes and notes and notes but the problem with this is that you don’t know how to apply the knowledge you’ve learnt so my best advice is to revise a topic then look up practice gcse exam questions and when you’re done marking them see where you went wrong and use that to learn! Also can I ask what year you’re in since another reason I was only getting 5’a was because the end of yr tests I was doing for science had high made up grade boundaries but tbh with you,the science grade boundaries are pretty low imo which will definitely help in getting them 9s.
Also for science make sure you know your ‘practical side’ of things since they come up a lot,for example why a test may be unfair/causes of random errors.
This would be for example using too much volume of a certain solution for chem etc.
And for maths,It’s fairly easy to get a 7 since the grade boundaries are again low but also because all you have to know is the basics,I would stray away from learning sine/cosine and rather focus on learning your graphs and probability which comes up a lot imo. Also practice questions for maths is a MUST,because then you start to learn and notice the different types of questions they can ask.
Hope this helps :smile:

hii thanks for seeing this

i am in y10 and my year is so competitive everything is like a competition and no one wants to help each other so i feel so left out

where do i find exam questions? and im not aiming for 9s tbh i just want higher than a 5 even a 6 will do because i put in no work for history and stuff an di get a 5 so if im putting in work i should get higher

yeah math is a huge problem for me im considering doing foundation :/

but this is so nice of you thanks :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
hii thanks for seeing this

i am in y10 and my year is so competitive everything is like a competition and no one wants to help each other so i feel so left out

where do i find exam questions? and im not aiming for 9s tbh i just want higher than a 5 even a 6 will do because i put in no work for history and stuff an di get a 5 so if im putting in work i should get higher

yeah math is a huge problem for me im considering doing foundation :/

but this is so nice of you thanks :smile:

Hey! The competition in your school definitely seems toxic,do the teachers not help either?
I’ll link you the websites on this where you can find the past papers but I must ask,are you doing combined or separate sciences? And for which exam board?
And which exam board for maths as well?
Also for maths if you’re already getting 5s there’s no need to drop,I’m in yr11 myself and I thought I had barely any time in yr10 but trust me you REALLY REALLY DO. Some mistakes I made was 1.not going back to the things we’ve learnt already and taught myself, so eventually I had so much content that I had forgotten when in reality if I had just spent 10/15 mins going back to a topic it would have saved a lot of time. 2. Literally crying when not getting how to do exam questions *rip* rather than trying it then learning techniques how to do them.
I’m currently at a grade 8 and I was also at a grade 5/6 in maths last year and this was literally the end of the year too so here’s some motivation for ya😅
Awww no worried🥺 I was struggling in yr10 and I don’t want others doing the same mistakes I did since no one really teaches anyone how to revise
Reply 8
Hey! I had the exact same thing all throughout year 10/11 (even lower tbh I was getting like level 3s and 4s) but then ended up getting level 7s and 8s in the actual exams all round, so don’t lose hope!
Some tips I’d give you:
For essay subjects like English make STRUCTURES for your answers and try to follow them for each question so you’ll feel less panicked and not waste time.
For subjects like maths you can order maths flash cards online (dependant on your exam board but should be there) and I found them really helpful, also just asking a teacher to take 5 minutes to explain questions or subjects you don’t understand will help and I’m sure they will.
For science subjects I would try and come up with ways to remember things as a lot of it is actually just memory, also a lot of the time gcse science exams have lots of multiple choice a lot of which can be pretty self explanatory, and make up a good percent of the grade.
I wouldn’t worry too much, teachers tend to grade you down anyways.
Hope this helped good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest