The Student Room Group

How important are political views in your friendships?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by issawrap
In a media-brainwashed person's mind, yes.

Jeff I know its you, we can stop now.
Reply 41
No, the world is not that simple or innocent. At all.

Trump has pretty much been fighting against almost the whole government. Everyone has tried to get rid of him for years, and have done EVERYTHING to get this to happen, in any way. From false allegations, baseless impeachment, and lies about 'russian collusion' for which no evidence was ever found for. A lot of illegal criminal activities have gone on behind the scenes, as well as a lot of threats against everyone including those on Trump's side. One by one, they all abandoned him as each one was either strongly threatened, or strongly bribed. They're all terrified for themselves and their families. One example is a woman in government (forgot her name) who is responsible of the transfer of presidency. She was forced to prematurely sign the papers before courts had even started because she was getting serious threats coming from everywhere. Threats against herself, her family, and even her dog.

There's a lot more to this but that's just a little hint of the place I'm coming from. Just one main thing you should know though - the Democrats are the most corrupt party to ever exist. Especially after these elections.

I agree with this. I pity the people who think Obama is a good man. Trump is a Saint compared to their kind.
Reply 42
Original post by Nuttyy
I agree with this. I pity the people who think Obama is a good man. Trump is a Saint compared to their kind.

100%.
Literally don't care if you disagree. As long as you're not an extremist. I draw the line at befriending radicals on both sides.
Why would that be missing the point? The economy's state is important for absolutely everyone in the country. And the worse the economy is, the worse it will be for the poorest who will get hit the hardest.

because you can use the excuse that you're voting "for the economy" to avoid spending on welfare/the nhs and its supposed to be just taken at face value because anyone who disagrees is naive or uneducated... and a lot of people focus on purely economic growth when frankly the higher priority should be to end homelessness for example
Original post by londonmyst

Nor members or financial backers of: AB, BF, BFP, DYR, EKP, KT, KKK, ONA, PA, WBC.

Can we have a translation? I think I recognise the Ku Klux Klan but not a scooby on the rest.
Not very important, i find it odious when people point blank refuse to consider other people's opinions and simply wont associate with people if they dont 100% have the same ideas and values as someone else.
Providing someone wasnt either extreme left or right and wasnt constantly pushing their beliefs onto everyone i wouldnt have a problem.
No, the world is not that simple or innocent. At all.

Trump has pretty much been fighting against almost the whole government. Everyone has tried to get rid of him for years, and have done EVERYTHING to get this to happen, in any way. From false allegations, baseless impeachment, and lies about 'russian collusion' for which no evidence was ever found for. A lot of illegal criminal activities have gone on behind the scenes, as well as a lot of threats against everyone including those on Trump's side. One by one, they all abandoned him as each one was either strongly threatened, or strongly bribed. They're all terrified for themselves and their families. One example is a woman in government (forgot her name) who is responsible of the transfer of presidency. She was forced to prematurely sign the papers before courts had even started because she was getting serious threats coming from everywhere. Threats against herself, her family, and even her dog.

There's a lot more to this but that's just a little hint of the place I'm coming from. Just one main thing you should know though - the Democrats are the most corrupt party to ever exist. Especially after these elections.

Whoops, found a Trumpist.
Would you not be friends with someone who doesn't have the same general political beliefs as you?

It more matters why they have those beliefs to me. I have friends that are facist and can present a good argument for facism. I'm find being friends with them but if someone's a fascist becasue 'I love hitler, the jews did everything wrong' (btw facism is not the same as racism and anti-semetism)
Reply 49
Original post by Anonymous
Personally, yes. I'm pretty left wing and I absolutely cannot understand how some people are able to argue against raising taxes when we have a 20% child poverty rate in this country - imo your political opinions say a lot about you: i can tell what your priorities are, and from that i can decide whether you are the kind of person i want to spend time with or not

But they don't spend taxes wisely or on the things you yourself care about.
Reply 50
Original post by Vapordave
Whoops, found a Trumpist.

Do you realise how bad you sound...

You might as well just say 'I'm a sheep who can't accept new information that opposes my indoctrination' and move on, lol
I have no friends so not particularly answering the question, but where I live is very torn apart by politics, and I heard from mom people divorce over it
Original post by qweasdzxcwersdf
It more matters why they have those beliefs to me. I have friends that are facist and can present a good argument for facism. I'm find being friends with them but if someone's a fascist becasue 'I love hitler, the jews did everything wrong' (btw facism is not the same as racism and anti-semetism)

Are you referring to the neo-fascists in italy and the generation identity cells? :confused:
Or smooth talking & well educated english fascists who have learned not to repeat the most obvious mistakes of Beamish, Clarke, Haw-Haw, Leese, Mosley, Tyndall & associates?
Reply 53
I don't think it matters as different views can provide for interesting conversations and debates. Would be tedious if all my friends had the same political stance.

However, I try to steer clear of people who are too left wing or too right wing. It's one thing wanting to control immigration for example and quite another to lay all the world's problems at the door of immigrants/people of different ethnic groups..
Original post by Wolfbangenoff
It all depends on how strong people's views are.
The vast majority of times, people that make a couple have the same political/life views along with how strong their views are.
You are never going to get an extreme leftist coupling up with an opposite view.
It is only important if it is important to you and if the other person no likey, then
you will no longer be a couple.
:smile: :smile:

I've dated guys with contrasting political and socio-cultural views to mine.
Trot revolutionaries, tua marxists, nra & airpac members committed to capital punishment who would later become the staunchest supporters of 'maga', religious traditionalists who revere VP Pence while struggling to tolerate President Trump.
None of the breakups involved politics.
Original post by qweasdzxcwersdf

Wait what? There’s literally no good arguments for fascism and I’m not talking about your modern day Neo-fascists
Reply 56
Original post by Anonymous
because you can use the excuse that you're voting "for the economy" to avoid spending on welfare/the nhs and its supposed to be just taken at face value because anyone who disagrees is naive or uneducated... and a lot of people focus on purely economic growth when frankly the higher priority should be to end homelessness for example

A wreckless attempt to cure everything will cause more diseases..

Spending billions and billions to end homelessness instantly will result in more homeless people in the future. Give a man a fishing rod, not fish to eat daily.
(edited 3 years ago)
Not important at all, if we're talking general political beliefs and not extremist views then it'll have no bearing on whether I want to be friends with them or not.
Reply 58
Original post by ruru06
I mean I am not going to be friends with someone who is a racist or someone who believes the UK is no place for immigrants

People have different meanings when it comes to the word racist. Some people think the belief that penalizing illegal immigration is somehow racist
Original post by MidgetFever
Not important at all, if we're talking general political beliefs and not extremist views then it'll have no bearing on whether I want to be friends with them or not.

The OP never said if the views were extreme or not. Most people don't talk politics when dating unless they have very strong, poss extreme views.

Quick Reply

Latest