QuackQuack1111
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I want to look into some uni maths topics (I'm currently in year 12), and I was wondering what uni maths topics are the most accessible to me? A topic that is interesting, yet relatively easy for me to grasp would be preferable. Thank you
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
What are you interested in?

Number theory and set theory/logic are good introductory topics. The fundamental ideas of set theory/logic pretty much underlie mathematics.

If you know/like calculus - you could look at vector calculus, real analysis (in which you pretty much restart your study of calculus and spend far less time doing calculations) or deeper into the qualitative theory (ie. more concerned about the behaviour of solutions rather than finding them explicitly) of differential equations. Complex analysis can also be tackled, strictly speaking, just with A-level complex numbers knowledge (bar possibly some missing vocabulary from topology, texts may assume varying amounts of familiarity with real analysis) but is generally not met until the second or third year of a maths degree.

If you like probability you could look into covering probability from its foundations, but eventually you'll need some real analysis. (you should have a grasp on bits of set theory too)

University maths is quite different in style to A-level, bear in mind, it will seem a lot more dense.
Last edited by _gcx; 5 months ago
senorpleb
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I would suggest looking into olympiads rather than university maths at this point
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by senorpleb)
I would suggest looking into olympiads rather than university maths at this point
To be fair - it might not be the OP's thing. Certainly wasn't mine. Though I would say there's a risk of speeding too far ahead without doing enough enrichment at the level they're currently at. (a particularly good source of questions is STEP)
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Number theory is good for "killing both stones"; it's useful both for Olympiad maths and university.

Personally, I'd have found gcx's list far more palatable than BMO/IMO stuff, but everyone's mileage will vary.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (73)
30.29%
No (168)
69.71%

Watched Threads