The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

Is Portsmouth a safe place to stay for uni

I’m currently making my choices and getting offers back to start uni this year. I mentioned Portsmouth to my mum and says it’s a really bad idea, not safe and not an interesting place. I don’t know if this is because she’s finding out I’m going to be in halls and Portsmouth is a 4 hour drive from where I live currently or if Portsmouth actually isn’t safe. She said she’d prefer me to go to Cardiff but wouldn’t that just be as safe?
Can I get some advice on this :smile:
What do you want to study? From what I've heard the place is as safe as any other major city (though Portsmouth is relatively small). I personally would never go there as I'm not sure I'd enjoy the place but depends what floats your boat. Royal Navy stationed there, some nice countryside around the place and you can take a quick trip to the Isle of Wight. But other than that, ..
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
I’m currently in my final year at Portsmouth, and it’s pretty safe (as safe as any other city is as the previous poster said). I’ve never had/seen any issues or anything. Obviously incidents do happen, but that’s bound to happen wherever you go!
Reply 3
Original post by SoonToBeExpat
What do you want to study? From what I've heard the place is as safe as any other major city (though Portsmouth is relatively small). I personally would never go there as I'm not sure I'd enjoy the place but depends what floats your boat. Royal Navy stationed there, some nice countryside around the place and you can take a quick trip to the Isle of Wight. But other than that, ..

I’m going to study psychology and my boyfriend is also soon to be stationed in the Royal Navy once he completes his application tests but he also currently lives near Cardiff. I’ve never been to Portsmouth so I don’t really know what’s there.
Original post by peachyjams
I’m currently making my choices and getting offers back to start uni this year. I mentioned Portsmouth to my mum and says it’s a really bad idea, not safe and not an interesting place. I don’t know if this is because she’s finding out I’m going to be in halls and Portsmouth is a 4 hour drive from where I live currently or if Portsmouth actually isn’t safe. She said she’d prefer me to go to Cardiff but wouldn’t that just be as safe?

Hey @peachyjams!

I am a third year at Portsmouth and I really love it here :smile:
I have personally never felt unsafe in the city at all.
In your first year, you would be living in halls which are a 5 minute walk from uni buildings and the town - so you don't have very far to go!
Also they're really close to the clubs (if they open, and if that is your thing) so you wouldn't have to walk far after a night out either, and you would be with friends too!

I really like the city, its relatively small and you can walk everywhere that you need to. The beach front is really pretty and we have some nice commons by the beach as well, which is great in the summer.
There's loads of bars, restaurants and shops around too, including gunwharf quays which is a major outlet shopping centre (incase you haven't heard of it!)
If you have a look here you can see all the things Portsmouth offers outside of studying :smile:
You can also sign up for our next virtual open day in June here.

I hope this helps you and feel free to ask any other questions you may have!
Eloise - Official Student Rep
Original post by peachyjams

Well city is safe, but listen to your mom and go to Cardiff. This Uni is bad unless you just looking for a degree. But if you want something good for £9K don't come here, this place is a joke.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending